PDA

View Full Version : Off load fsx files to second drive

THibben
August 1st, 2016, 19:03
All of my FSX files are installed on the same drive. Unfortunately that drive is nearly full. Can any files such as scenery, aircraft or other files be offloaded to a second drive and not hurt performance? Both drives would SSD.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

Butcherbird17
August 1st, 2016, 19:57
Yes to your question. Add-on scenery can go on any drive. I don't know if FTX stuff can go anywhere as I have never tried.
I have all my freeware scenery on another drive and then set up in sub-directories (regions) and then added thru the
scenery library.

With aircraft you can do the same (although some payware may need to go into the root folder). I keep all my freeware
a/c on another drive and just add an entry into the FSX.cfg to point to the folder. I do the same with all my AI a/c.
One thing to remember is to keep a copy of the effects and any gauges with the a/c so you can install back into the root
folder if you need to do a reinstall.

Joe

heywooood
August 1st, 2016, 23:13
I did it - I moved the entire contents of my Scenery folder to my 'E' drive using a migration tool ..including all of the ORBX scenery there - no problem 38gigs of scenery offloaded from my primary drive.
youtube has some quick tutorial vids to help

Junction Link Magic http://junction-link-magic.software.informer.com/

(http://junction-link-magic.software.informer.com/)

Daube
August 1st, 2016, 23:55
Yes, basically you can move big folders to another drive, and then create a "symbolic link" on the original drive, pointing to the new location.
This will "lure" the programs into thinking the folder is still in its original place :)
I moved the entire ORBX folder that way, for the very same reasons you mentioned: my sim hardrive was getting full.

gavinc
August 2nd, 2016, 00:27
Hi,
I do this with FSX on an SSD and (most) 3rd party scenery on an HDD.
Just install the scenery to a folder on the 2nd drive and add it to your FSX the normal way. You can also create a second SimObject/Aircraft folder and add it to fsx.cfg. I do this with my AI aircraft

Both your disks are SSDs so it shouldn't matter much but for me I found that the performance is about the same with the 3rd party scenery on the HDD but having AI aircraft on the HDD significantly increases load time so I moved them back onto the SSD.

Gavin

CavalierDuck
August 2nd, 2016, 05:02
I keep all my freeware
a/c on another drive and just add an entry into the FSX.cfg to point to the folder. I do the same with all my AI a/c.

Hi,
You can also create a second SimObject/Aircraft folder and add it to fsx.cfg. I do this with my AI aircraft

I have exactly this problem at the moment (trying to make room for FTX LC NA on an already near-full SSD). I'd like to off-load some of my freeware and AI aircraft to another drive, but I don't know what needs to be added to fsx.cfg to point to the new folder. Please could one of you maybe give an example of what needs to be added and into which block, or point me to where I could find this? Many thanks.

DaveB
August 2nd, 2016, 05:39
Look for this section in the fsx.cfg..

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

If you want to move AI or any other models do a different directory.. make the directory name of your choice and point the Main section to it (in this case AI).. eg:
[Main]
SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\AI (or whatever you want to call it).
Adding a full path to a different drive should also work.
ATB
DaveB:)

THibben
August 2nd, 2016, 06:25
Thanks all,

This should give me a way to go.

Tom

CavalierDuck
August 2nd, 2016, 12:12
Look for this section in the fsx.cfg..

[Main]

If you want to move AI or any other models do a different directory.. make the directory name of your choice and point the Main section to it (in this case AI).. eg:
[Main]
SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\AI (or whatever you want to call it).
Adding a full path to a different drive should also work.
ATB
DaveB:)

Thanks very much for posting that Dave, it's a big help. I can work it out from there (I think!).

Butcherbird17
August 2nd, 2016, 14:19
Nick,
Just as Dave posted is the way to do it. Name the folder what ever you would like then move all your AI or player
A/C you want into it. (keeping AI separate from player a/c is better). With the File Explorer window open copy the
full address and then paste that into the FSX.cfg. Here is what mine looks like for my AI a/c.

SimObjectPaths.7=G:\SimObjects\AI Aircraft

I also do this for addon ships, the only difference is they are separated into country of origin.

Hope this helps.

Joe

CavalierDuck
August 4th, 2016, 10:08
Thanks Dave and Joe, redirecting SimObjects to another drive by this method works perfectly. Made a nice bit of space on my FS drive now. Thanks again for your help.:encouragement: