PDA

View Full Version : FSX on Seagate Portale 4TB drive

THibben
August 1st, 2016, 09:35
Will FSX run on a 4TB external dive? I am nearly out of room on my 250GB solid state hard drive.
If it will work how would I copy from the existing drive or would I install from the original FSX instl disk and then copy all existing files?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom

Daube
August 1st, 2016, 12:00
I think it's a bad idea.
External disks are slow. The loading will take forever.
SSD's price have dropped quite a lot. Even the slowest SSDs are faster than regular hardrives, thanks to the faster access speed, not only the transfer speed... which will also be terrible with an external disk ;)
I bought a 500 GB SSD from Sandisk for around 150 euros just two weeks ago... Sure it's not the best SSD at all, but it's better than any regular hardrive for me.

THibben
August 1st, 2016, 14:59
I think it's a bad idea.
External disks are slow. The loading will take forever.
SSD's price have dropped quite a lot. Even the slowest SSDs are faster than regular hardrives, thanks to the faster access speed, not only the transfer speed... which will also be terrible with an external disk ;)
I bought a 500 GB SSD from Sandisk for around 150 euros just two weeks ago... Sure it's not the best SSD at all, but it's better than any regular hardrive for me.

Thanks for the info. My existing drive is a SSD. I have just about run out of space on the drive. The new ORBX NA scenery just about filled it up so I don't have much room for anything else.

Tom

Daube
August 1st, 2016, 15:49
I was exactly in the same situation not so long ago. That's why I decided to buy an additionnal SSD and install it inside the computer.
But that's a tower computer, not a laptop.
Laptops usually have only one space for a hardrive. There are some exceptions though, like the laptop of my father (one drive, and one empty space for an additional one if needed).

wombat666
August 2nd, 2016, 05:14
Just as an example, I had a very odd PC 'meltdown' recently and could only get up and running when I plugged in an elderly 2TB WD 7200 drive ............ :banghead:
It did get me out of trouble but it was so bloody slow that I did end up cloning the content to a new 1TB Samsung SSD, now everything is back to swift boots.
:triumphant:

Bookman1960
August 2nd, 2016, 07:23
For what it's worth...

I've been running FSX on an external WD 2TB drive for several years now with no problems. My only issue has been that if I play a long time, the drive gets pretty warm if referencing a lot of files.

In fact, I have 6 external drives that I use for gaming -- each for a different sim.

But...to each his own.

THibben
August 2nd, 2016, 11:56
I think I am going to buy a Samsung 850 500GB drive and then just clone everything over to it. I have space for another drive and for about $160 it may be the easiest and cleanest way to go. Of course that will have to be cleared with the money manager...grin

Tom

wombat666
August 3rd, 2016, 01:18
I think I am going to buy a Samsung 850 500GB drive and then just clone everything over to it. I have space for another drive and for about $160 it may be the easiest and cleanest way to go. Of course that will have to be cleared with the money manager...grin Tom Just do it and take very low profile!