PDA

View Full Version : Texture Conversion Assistance

Typhoon Willy
August 1st, 2016, 03:44
Hi all,

I have two textures which are skins representing USAF A-7D Corsair IIs during Vietnam, however, the skinner created them for use on the first version of ALPHASIM's A-7E. These skins are the old .af style and was wondering if some kind soul could convert them for use on ALPHASIM's actual A-7D model which uses more "modern" style textures.

Normally I'm not a "rivert counter", however, there are some differences between the D and E models that are difficult to ignore.

The attached file contains both .af skins along with AS's A-7D aircraft. 41299

Thanks in advance,

TW

No Dice
August 1st, 2016, 05:51
Willy,

You can also use Martins convert R8 program.

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

click on the red rose at the bottom of his page.

Typhoon Willy
August 1st, 2016, 11:34
Hi No Dice,

First, thanks for the reply. Second, I downloaded the R8 conversion program as you suggested and converted all the files. However, I'm getting some serious color distortion. For example, the tan went to a different shade and some of the greens turned grey, I'm guessing this has to do with the conversion process or am I doing something incorrectly?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41314&stc=1

Thanks,

TW

UncleTgt
August 1st, 2016, 12:05
Willy,

It looks like the sort of shift you can see sometimes going from 256 colours to an extended 8 bit format.

I'm afraid you would need to repaint/recolour & then use DXTbmp to get them into extended 16 bit colour for use in CFS 2.

OR

You could try using the tex512 programme to convert the old Alphasim A7E model to call for & use #.bmp textures instead of #.af textures? Might give you a more accurate visual model (if somewhat older)? & more texture fidelity (because of the bmp format textures).

prog attached, as it seems almost impossible to find these days.

Allen
August 1st, 2016, 12:09
Just open those .af textures with any paint program and transfer the .af textures to the .bmp textures. Edit as needed.

gius
August 1st, 2016, 12:22
Willy,

It looks like the sort of shift you can see sometimes going from 256 colours to an extended 8 bit format.

I'm afraid you would need to repaint/recolour & then use DXTbmp to get them into extended 16 bit colour for use in CFS 2.

OR

You could try using the tex512 programme to convert the old Alphasim A7E model to call for & use #.bmp textures instead of #.af textures? Might give you a more accurate visual model (if somewhat older)? & more texture fidelity (because of the bmp format textures).

prog attached, as it seems almost impossible to find these days.

Thanks UT,
this is just the sort of program i need....
Cheers

dvslats
August 5th, 2016, 03:35
Hi Typhoon Willy,

Try these. I'm no skinner so they are not perfect. (a line along the spine)
Should be good enough for goverment work. ;-)

Typhoon Willy
August 5th, 2016, 07:36
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much! I downloaded and installed "GIMP", a freeware paint program. I managed to figure out how to "flip" partial sections of textures, but had to use MS paint to resize, and that's when things went south as far as the colors went. I'll have to open up your textures with GIMP and see if I can replicate what you did.

Kind regards,

TW

dvslats
August 6th, 2016, 20:50
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much! I downloaded and installed "GIMP", a freeware paint program. I managed to figure out how to "flip" partial sections of textures, but had to use MS paint to resize, and that's when things went south as far as the colors went. I'll have to open up your textures with GIMP and see if I can replicate what you did.

Kind regards,

TW

Your welcome T-Willy.
I'm still using the venerable PSP 7. After several years the menu options are burned into my brain. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/d025.gif

If you can open the *.af image directly with gimp, increase the color up to 24 bit 16 million colors.
Do not change the size of the image. Use zoom only.
Do your editing in gimp only.
Use the selection tool (rectangle), and select the part of the image that needs to be mirrored.
When this is selected, find "image", "mirrored".
Deselect.

Save the image as a windows 24 bit *.bmp.
Open the *. bmp with Martin's Dxt 1 bitmap manipulator.
Save as 16 bit 565, or Dxt3. Either should work fine.

In the beginning, the most important item is increasing the color up to 24 bit 16 million colors with your paint program.
This way when the image is reduced to 16 bit there's less degradation.

Clear as mud, right? http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a070.gif

Hope this will help you out some,
Dave

Typhoon Willy
August 7th, 2016, 07:22
Hi dvslats,

Ha, there is the issue! I was wondering how you were able to get the textures to work while keeping them at 1024x1024. I'm not sure how to save the textures at 24 bit...yet. I feel I'm close at puting it all together, as far as conversions go.

UncleTgt,

Forgive me for being remiss, but thank you for the model conversion program. Although I won't be needing it for this project, I have some older AlphaSim models for which it will come in handy. It appears the program will be of great use to others as well, thank you for sharing it with us.

Kind regards,

TW