PDA

View Full Version : My New Saitek X-56

StormILM
July 27th, 2016, 20:19
Okay, a quick report on my Saitek woes from sending my 2+ year old X-55 RMA back to Mad Catz. I know all too well these guys are taking a massive hit on their reputation due to poor quality control but here's my two cents on my latest experience. I sent my X-55 back a little over 2 weeks ago and they approved my RMA to be replaced by a brand new X-56. Being that my X-55's warranty was expired, I cannot complain at their gesture but upon receiving my X-56 today, my impression of it is not as favorable as I gave my old X-55 two years ago. What they did right, they did upgrade some of the switches, especially the POV Hat which appears to be using a contemporary positive click internal switch similar to the old X-52. The trigger is also better but not 2 stage/positive click like the Warthog. Overall, the tracking of the sensors appears to be far more accurate than the X-55 and even my old X-52. As far as the new features, like the two mini joysticks (one on the main stick and the other on the throttle), IMHO those are not really valuable for FSX/P3D unless bound to some weapon system or camera coded addon but the mini joysticks may be more useful in DCS. Bear in mind, this HOTAS is aimed at Space Sims like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen which some users will benefit from the mini joysticks. Both of the mini joysticks BTW also serve as a button but because of their super light spring tension, it's very difficult to press them inwards to get a solid switch click. To achieve a switch click on the mini joystick toggle function, I use the sides of my thumb joints moving my thumb at a 90 degree angle inward against the top of the mini joystick. It's still awkward but also still usable. As far as the new colors and variable lighting lighting, I don't care for it, I just want function and less gloss in features.

Here's my biggest gripe, first, the throttles. The movement is the throttles is pretty stiff and the tension adjustment doesn't seem to have much effect. I noticed that after the first couple of dozen cycles of movement with the throttles, they have begun to loosen up some. Otherwise, the throttle function is as good as the X-55 (which in my case, it worked flawlessly). In the case of the stick, I found one flaw that really irritated me. When moving the stick axis in the corners, about 2/3rds of the way in movement, there is a physical click as if there is some plastic making contact and binding. It's not severe but noticeable but does not impede smooth handling of the aircraft model. I took the base apart and tried to see what was going on and found some plastic molding flash sticking up on a couple of parts. I'm not sure if that is what's causing the physical clicking or not but it could be. It's not a show stopper but my X-55 was much smoother in this regard. I figure that over time it will smooth out but I will be carefully monitoring it.

All in all, I have to stand up and warn you guys about this stick. For what they are charging for it ($50 more than the original X-55), it needs to be better than what I encountered simply meaning, it's on the verge of being very good but needs refinement and better QC testing before they ship them out. I'm going to continue on using this as long as it lasts but I am certainly going to be buying a different stick and throttle next time.

Jafo
July 27th, 2016, 21:05
I still wonder why people don't go for the X65F .... yes, its throttles are 'stiff' too but that's more a feeling of quality/solidity than a turn off....and the ral bonus is the force sensitive stick...that doesn't move at all...so no issues of wear....wobbly....sticky....clicking....;)

StormILM
July 27th, 2016, 21:27
I still wonder why people don't go for the X65F .... yes, its throttles are 'stiff' too but that's more a feeling of quality/solidity than a turn off....and the ral bonus is the force sensitive stick...that doesn't move at all...so no issues of wear....wobbly....sticky....clicking....;)

In hindsight I wish I had gotten an X65F but since they discontinued it before I was ready to buy, my options dwindled and I bought the X-55 a couple of months after release. I truly believe they built superb quality into the X65F. Now a used X65F is quite pricey. I am looking at eventually getting a CH Fighter Stick along with a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle for my fighter needs and adding a CH throttle quadrant (with addon/changeable Airbus/Boeing pop-on handles) and maybe a yoke of some sort at some point. The CH Fighter Stick & Thrustmaster TWCS purchase is contingent on how long the new X-56 lasts (and which part of the unit craps out first). I still can't bring myself to spend $450 on a Warhog but if I ever see one on sale or used/in new condition, then I may go that route. Time will tell.