PDA

View Full Version : C47 Making Me Sweat!!

BeaverDriver
July 25th, 2016, 15:31
Ok, you guys that made the C47 are making me sweat big-time :icon_redface:! Understand, a few years (read, "lifetimes") ago I flew DH Beavers for a living (IRL). Now I remember all too well coming out of smallish lakes (I was on floats) on a hot summer day and having to clear trees and hills before I could get the power back. All the while, I'd be watching my CHT and wondering which I was going to top out first - the trees or the temps. So, back to the present. Today I'm hauling a charter in the C47 (we're in the sim now) out of a 3000 ft grass strip, fairly well loaded (but still well below gross), and with trees and a couple of hills to clear. This is Mable Lake, B.C. I'm referring to, and we're going to Revelstoke. Due to the winds, I had to go north/uphill (slightly) and towards the trees/hills instead of out over the lake. So fine. I'm climbing out (got off the runway a tad later than I wanted to) and getting the gear up followed by the flaps once I had the closest trees cleared. But, I'm still not climbing fast enough for the surrounding terrain to get the power back, and I can only manage 85 mph. As in IRL, I've got one eye glued to the outside and one to the CHT's, and the CoJoe is very "kindly" telling me that we're getting pretty hot and running it a bit hard (yeah, so were the engines :distrust:!!). That's when I noticed I was sweating, just like when I had to do this stuff for real. Any simulation that can do that for me, has my undying respect! Man, this is goooood stuff! I said it before in another forum, but I'm saying it again here - THANK YOU!!

Glenn

PS - made it to Revelstoke just find, thank you :)

TuFun
July 25th, 2016, 17:52
Can you image doing that with VR (Oculus Rift)! Love reading stuff like this! :biggrin-new:

BeaverDriver
July 25th, 2016, 17:53
<LOL> No kidding! I may not survive that one :D

Alky
July 25th, 2016, 19:46
Great story BeaverDriver! My entire life's experience in prop aircraft consists of a half hour introductory flight in a Cessna something or other 35 years ago at the Langley BC airport. I'm almost 69 now and and my bucket list has a ride in a Beaver in it but likely that will never happen. Thank you again. :)

BeaverDriver
July 26th, 2016, 02:39
It still counts Alky :) . But if you are anywhere near the Vancouver area and can manage it, head down to the seaplane base(s?) there and go for a sight seeing ride. Definitely worth the bucks, although it's not cheap anymore. I have to say though, I sure loved flying the Beaver. Scared me a couple of times, but that's life in the bush ;) . Thanks for the reply.