PDA

View Full Version : FSX-SE question

dhasdell
July 19th, 2016, 23:53
Since my last minor disaster, FSX-SE refuses to run unless I fire up Steam first. Previously it would run from a desktop icon, loading Steam along the way. It's not the end of the world, but is there a way to get it back to starting up directly?

Daube
July 20th, 2016, 00:18
Could it be that your Steam doesn't start automatically on Windows start ?
When I start my computer, and I reach the Windows desktop, Steam doesn't appear on the screen, but it appears in the task manager. It did start automatically. And if I remember correctly, this is an option somewhere in Steam.
I think that in the past, your Steam was also starting automatically, running in the background, and appearing on the screen only when you launched FSX-SE.

dhasdell
July 20th, 2016, 01:35
Thanks Daube. I wondered about that, too, but I don't think that's it because my IL-2 Cliffs of Dover still works from the desktop icon, starting Steam as it loads. I've checked that Steam isn't already running from some previous activity, and it isn't.

scotth6
July 20th, 2016, 02:09
Hi,

I'm not sure, as I haven't tried, but you could try deleting the shortcut that is there and creating a new one via Steam:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AJfB1i96Skw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers,

dhasdell
July 20th, 2016, 02:24
Thank you scotth6. I'm sure I never did that before, but I've done it now and it works :applause:

NOSNILMOT
July 20th, 2016, 03:37
While on the subject of FSX Steam Edition, am I right in saying that addons bought for FSX-SE through Steam cannot be used in a conventional FSX set up ?

fsafranek
July 20th, 2016, 06:19
While on the subject of FSX Steam Edition, am I right in saying that addons bought for FSX-SE through Steam cannot be used in a conventional FSX set up ?
That would appear to be the case, at least with aircraft. They apparently cannot be run in FSX or P3D, nor viewed in ModelConverterX. When installed they go into a "DLC" folder as well.
:ernaehrung004:

Naismith
July 20th, 2016, 12:54
Anyone know why the SE on my system at least ran like a slideshow yet FSXA was just fine & dandy on W10. I reverted back to W7 64. Tried it twice over the space of weeks same outcome.

System I5 4960 Oclocked to 3.50GHz, 32Gb DDR3 RAM GTX 6690,

BrittMac
July 20th, 2016, 20:51
Naismith, no clue. Have you totally wiped FSX from your system before you installed SE? I did a fair bit of work before installing SE, and still had a couple issues installing a couple planes (though not all).
SE should realistically run better on your system than FSXA did. It does on mine, and I have a decently healthy system (32gigs, i7, etc).