PDA

View Full Version : AVG Driving me crazy

middle
February 5th, 2009, 14:30
Well, today I have had it with AVG v.8.0 not working right. It continually wants to restart for updates over and over. It's been not working right since I installed it so today I've been trying to uninstall it and it won't let me do that either...so how do i uninstall this damn thing and use Avast? Do I have to manually get rid of it? middle

demorier
February 6th, 2009, 00:10
Have you tried this avg web instuction. It more or less says to go through an install process....then early in the process it gives you an option to uninstall avg. I think that's how i've done it before.

http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1246?srch=uninstall|avg#faq_1246 (http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1246?srch=uninstall%7Cavg#faq_1246)

stansdds
February 6th, 2009, 02:14
If that doesn't work, then use the Windows Add/Remove Programs routine, after doing that, find the AVG folder and delete it. I had trouble with AVG a year or so ago and dumped it. I recommend Avast for a freeware anti-virus program. Avast seems to use just a little more RAM than AVG, but is very stable and reliable.

hey_moe
February 6th, 2009, 03:37
I have been using it for the last couple of years with no problems. Sorry to hear ya having them kinds of problems. Are you sure you removed all bits and piece of it and then reinstalled it ?

Wiens
February 6th, 2009, 05:43
Middle,

I had that same thing happen for two days a while back.......then it cleared up on its own. Go figure!!

Kevin

middle
February 6th, 2009, 12:30
Update: Well, I d-loaded the installer then ran it to remove the program and then installed Avast. Avast went in real smooth and did not tell me that I had another virus protection running. So far so good....I just finished a full system scan and Avast found a couple of adwrae things that went right by AVG.
When I had AVG 7.5, it worked fine...after I updated to 8.0, it never did work right.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, gents. I'll kepp ya posted as to how this avast works. If ya never hear from me again it means that Avast let a virus in that fried my machine,lol.

johnfromoz
February 15th, 2009, 23:24
Add me to the list of AVG disappointment. I have never been displeased with it until v.8, which I tried after my PC crashed and burned, so really it's on new hardware and fresh OS installation.

I have exactly the same issue/ I am on dialup. Offline I get a couple of reminders to update. Online, they never stop. I sometimes don't approve access to update, so it asks again after thirty seconds. The Advanced settings on the free version don't let me choose "weekly" or anything except the defaults, which seem to be "all the time".

If I do update, thirty seconds later it tells me I need to update again. Tonight I finished a large update and a couple of minutes later got another large one - not just a couple of hundred kb.

I was advised to go for Norton or McAfee, despite having given up on them in past years, and if AVG free is meant to encourage me to buy the full version, it fails. I have had three update reminders since I started typing this, despite turning off every setting I could access re updates.

Ah, I feel better now I've had a spit! :wiggle:

Make that four update reminders...:faint:

yank51
February 16th, 2009, 17:53
After upgrading to Ver. 8 I started experiencing the exact same problems as all of you. Continuous update requests, and my HD was ALWAYS doing something in the background. Got disgusted, and uninstalled ver. 8, and re-installed ver. 7.5 and all is fine. I've not looked into AVAST, but I seen a couple of recommendations. May give it a try...