PDA

View Full Version : VKB Gladiator Stick Arrival/Unboxing

StormILM
July 14th, 2016, 12:48
Well, my new VKB Gladiator Stick has arrived on schedule today. After my unboxing of the new stick, here are my initial impressions (prior to my plugging it in and setting up to test). First, the stick with base is not as big as it appears in the photos. It is in fact considerably smaller than my previous sticks (X-45, X-52, X-55) and not as tall sitting on the desk. Construction appears to be very sturdy, the switches seem to be of high quality with strong springs and positive clicks. The stick axis movement is very smooth and uniform, not overly heavy nor too light in pull weight. The twist axis is nice and actually very superior in feel to any of my previous Saitek sticks. The only slight negative with the stick axis movement is there is slight slop in he pitch axis (and none in the roll or yaw axis). Some might make a big deal of this issue but to be honest, most sticks I have tested/used either have slight slop in the pitch or roll axis at the beginning of use or certainly by the time they go through the break-in use period. The small throttle wheel in the left side of the stick base is weighted and very smooth feeling and does not have any click detents.

As far as the stick/base buttons/switches. not including the throttle, there are 14 buttons on the base and the stick has a 8-way Hat switch, a top button, and a pinky button (the latter is a shift function for the stick which allows you to instantly change between trim and view functions on the Hat switch). The trigger is hinged and and can be flipped up and back (like a safety) but it has a small magnet in the front of the trigger switch/back of the trigger that keeps the trigger securely held against the switch body in the Ready/Fire position. As far as the Hat switch, it feels pretty solid but the only minor negative is that the top of the stick flares out at it's rear portion and some users may have slight to moderate trouble pushing the Hat switch to the right as the top of the stick may interfere with the movement of the Hat and the user's thumb at certain angles. That issue can easily be overcome with getting used to the feel of the stick but perhaps the manufacturer will redesign the stick with adequate relief in that area or make the Hat switch larger and more easy to manipulate.
Anyhow, that's just a quick run through but here are some photos. I will re-post in this thread my post use impressions later on.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40348&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40349&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40350&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40351&stc=1

StormILM
July 14th, 2016, 12:50
A few more of the stick:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40353&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40354&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40355&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40356&stc=1

BrittMac
July 14th, 2016, 13:45
I see the SYS and Pedals ports.
Two questions:
1) Is this only compatible with VKB pedals?
2) The SYS port looks smaller than a USB, but, it's hard to see for sure in the photo. Is it something other than USB?

StormILM
July 14th, 2016, 14:18
I see the SYS and Pedals ports.
Two questions:
1) Is this only compatible with VKB pedals?
2) The SYS port looks smaller than a USB, but, it's hard to see for sure in the photo. Is it something other than USB?

To be honest, I'm trying to get the straight of that myself. I believe that the pedals port is only for their pedals via RJ45 plug patch cable. I'm not 100% about the function of the SYS port. The SYS port is exactly the same as average house phone plugs/jacks while the pedals plugs is closer to the width of an ethernet plug. Hopefully VKB will explain this in better detail soon. They noted they are going to release a detailed product video soon to explain this and other products.

Navy Chief
July 14th, 2016, 14:30
Never heard of VKB products before, but the reviews I just read indicate they are high quality. The joystick is reasonably priced, but the pedals? Waaaay too expensive for me. NC

StormILM
July 14th, 2016, 14:40
Okay, I have had a chance to flight test the Gladiator. Straight to the point, the feel is very good and very accurate, natural feeling. Coming from using a HOTAS system, it's a little awkward getting used to it but it's still very enjoyable to use. The springs and rubber boot at the base of the stick gives it a nice fluid feel.

Here's my initial conclusion:
This stick is VERY well suited for new users and experienced users who desire a single stick with all controls on it for the purpose of simplicity and/or saving space (if you have limited desk space). Some users who are used to a heavier spring feel may find this model a bit too light but it's smoothness may provide an offset. That being noted, advanced users may prefer the Pro model which has interchangeable springs and an all metal gimble but bear in mind that the Pro model is $150 more than the base model. Can this stick be used with a separate throttle? Absolutely! If you have a CH, Saitek, or Thrustmaster throttle, it will compliment this stick perfectly (either the standard or pro versions). In fact, if you want a quality HOTAS type system and save money, you could pair the standard Gladiator with the new Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. BTW, this stick is perfect for WW1/2 combat sims.

Lastly, bearing in mind this is a brand new product, it's too early to measure the longevity based on average to heavy use. The maker claims it will hold up for long use and they do back it with a 2 year warranty but time will tell. From some of the other products they have had their hands in, they seem to be holding up very well. I have the long term stopwatch on as of now and we'll see how things go.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and am thinking of using it specifically for my combat sim use and I may buy a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle. Both will be a good backup to my incoming Saitek X-56 (replacement for my X-55).

Edit: I (think) I forgot to mention, if you buy the standard model it does have a twist axis but the Pro model does not (due to the changeable springs all metal gimble).

tommieboy
July 14th, 2016, 14:44
.....This stick is VERY well suited for new users and experienced users who desire a single stick with all controls on it for the purpose of simplicity and/or saving space......

That's me.....

Thanks for the timely review of this product as I am looking for replacement stick as we speak. This one looks like it fits the bill.

Tommy

BrittMac
July 14th, 2016, 14:44
Thanks Jeff. Good info. Looking forward to seeing what those ports are for lol. Thanks for looking into that.

StormILM
July 14th, 2016, 14:58
One other thing, (I'm getting more scatterbrained now I'm past 50! lol): On my calibration of the stick, the axis calibration centering for the pitch, roll, and yaw was dead on! Far more accurate and stable than any of my old Saitek products. I attribute this to the contactless MaRS sensors (Magnetic Resistance Sensor). In fact, the accuracy is so good it feels more natural, not abrupt or jerky. Also, I mentioned that the spring tension was somewhat light but it does increase the more throw you add in, especially in the last 1/3rd of the stick throw. Last, it is unnecessary to download VKB's drivers or assignment software, the stick is easily recognized by windows and FSX with no issues setting up axis and button programming.

Okay, I think I have everything covered for now.

Stratojet - Jason
July 18th, 2016, 14:06
One other thing, (I'm getting more scatterbrained now I'm past 50! lol): On my calibration of the stick, the axis calibration centering for the pitch, roll, and yaw was dead on! Far more accurate and stable than any of my old Saitek products. I attribute this to the contactless MaRS sensors (Magnetic Resistance Sensor). In fact, the accuracy is so good it feels more natural, not abrupt or jerky. Also, I mentioned that the spring tension was somewhat light but it does increase the more throw you add in, especially in the last 1/3rd of the stick throw. Last, it is unnecessary to download VKB's drivers or assignment software, the stick is easily recognized by windows and FSX with no issues setting up axis and button programming.

Okay, I think I have everything covered for now.

Thanks for the order and review StormILM. We appreciate the exposure on SOH.

If anyone here is interested in learning more about the Gladiator stick, VKB (through me) posted a really detailed accounting of the design and how it works. A lot of thought went into the Gladiator and it's a little different than the usual stick in this price range. Some of you might find it interesting.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2282

We also released the WIZZO software for the Gladiator. http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2284

VKB brand is new to the Western market, but their history is one of making small production runs of quality products. That is changing with much more in the pipeline. Stratojet is VKB's North American partner and assists VKB with communication, production and development.

Jason

b52bob
July 18th, 2016, 15:14
When mine dies a horrible death, yours will be the one I'm getting. Nice product and the wizzo software looks great.

Naismith
July 18th, 2016, 23:20
I questioned in their forum re the possibility of a Hotas system. Advice was to wait for their projected VKB Gunfighter system. No dates offered. It is supposedly similar to their Mamba system

ce_zeta
July 19th, 2016, 00:32
Thanks for the Info StormILM.

Sadly EU simmers must 'smuggle' the Gladiator from other markets if we wanna use it...at least at this moment.

P.S. Yeap, Jason, I read that VKB wont sell the Gladiator in EU. Other company will sell a cheaper version of it under another brand and name in the EU...but release date is still unknown. At least VKB will sell Gladiator PRO without complications in EU market.

roger-wilco-66
July 19th, 2016, 00:49
Regarding the SYS port, here's a quote from the dev:

"The "SYS" connector is for connecting future control devices that are still in development or on the drawing board. A throttle and additional multifunction panel come to mind."

The stick looks quite good, if I would be on the hunt for a new stick I'd draw it into consideration. I don't think it's an equal match for my TM Warthog though. That's heavy metal, not plastics.

Cheers,
Mark

Naismith
July 28th, 2016, 11:42
Came across this vid of their Mamba system - looks like it is built like a T-34 tank. Haven't got the faintest idea what the guy is saying though. Any Russian speakers here?
https://youtu.be/Tubo5NDUjOs