PDA

View Full Version : Rest & Relaxation/Flying Bull Extravaganza

jkcook28
February 5th, 2009, 13:56
Post your intentions and screenshots/stories of amazing airmanship in this thread. Remember only the duenna pics need be posted upon completion; not each leg. Cyas in the Azores!

P.S. only the final leg to LPPD requires real-time so feel free to fly in daylight (for once!) on the first two legs.

Dangerousdave26
February 5th, 2009, 13:59
And I am Off LIRS to LXGB Look for me in the Convair 990A

Time to take it easy before the Big Race

1) LIRS to LXGB (Gibraltar) -855.8nm - land & refuel (HJG Convair 990A)

2) LXGB to LPPT (Lisbon) -239.2nm - land and load FB's grocery order. Ensure a/c lavatory is working for next hop. (Boeing Stratocruiser 377)

3) LPPT to LPPD (Joao Paulo) -781.8nm - where you will be met by your tour representative and given your party ID. (Boeing Stratocruiser 377)

:rapture:

jkcook28
February 5th, 2009, 14:01
Launching shortly:

LIRS-->LXGB Convair 990

LXGB-->LPPT Tu-95/Tu-142
LPPT-->LPPD "

Dangerousdave26
February 5th, 2009, 16:08
For the most part a good flight. Strong head winds but clear. Worked on the old formation flying skills that are required by all Team Outhouse pilots. The weather at LXGB was storming and only 5nm of vis but was able to exacute a some what normal landing.

Glad I had reverse thrusters.

jkcook28
February 5th, 2009, 16:29
Ditto. I was Alaska Airlines. My screenies look similar. I made the mid-field turnoff winning the bet from Rob. Beers all around courtesy of Rob! :woot: :d

srgalahad
February 5th, 2009, 17:14
Dave also made the end-of-the-runway-in-the-surf turnaround in the Stratocruiser on a 'demo' flight for the media. At least the SAR chopper was standing by.

Dangerousdave26
February 5th, 2009, 18:09
Dave also made the end-of-the-runway-in-the-surf turnaround in the Stratocruiser on a 'demo' flight for the media. At least the SAR chopper was standing by.

And here is the proof. I did not think I was tooo Hot but she just wanted to float over the runway.

Tako_Kichi
February 5th, 2009, 19:18
When I was beta testing the 377 I would sometimes throw it into reverse thrust if I came in a bit hot and it floated over the runway. That gets her down real quick! :rolleyes:

MaddogK
February 5th, 2009, 22:18
Bummer, no heroics, no speedbrakes, no thrust reverse, still only used half the runway. Even my pics are underexposed- should try a day flight next time.

...still got the shakes tho' , 2 legs to go.

Firebar
February 6th, 2009, 09:23
Arghh Crash for no reason at Gib (unlike last time). I was on the ground, spoilers out full flaps, full brakes, all wheels down and then the sim stops and sasy I crashed. Excuse me i'm going to play with trains instead for a bit to calm my annoyance with FS.

Flyin Bull
February 6th, 2009, 11:16
At Last, got to Gibralter in the trusty Vangaurd. Decided to fly at night that way could not see the water:monkies:

Steve

srgalahad
February 6th, 2009, 21:34
Off to do a bit of route-proving for some friends looking to do a cross-Med passenger route. Should pick up a few pointers on the way for later

srgalahad
February 7th, 2009, 01:24
Route impressed the owners and the media onboard. We gave them visits to the flight deck and got their photos in exchange. Having another Comet to carry the rest of the media produced some more shots for the album.

- On the climb out of Italy, going up steeply to reduce the noise
- A couple from the "Press Bus"
-The last moments before landing, descending through layers of Gib Goo
- A happy photographer enjoys the jumpseat.

Now back to Grosetto to haul the Team supplies to the Azores. We'll leave the Comet here to be ferried to Lisbon for the final leg

Firebar
February 7th, 2009, 01:47
I think i'm gonna cry.

I got the trident into Gib finally, third time lucky you know. Touched down perfectly, began roll out with brakes and spoilers and tried the reverse thrust. It didn't work, and my speed was picking back up to 130 kts. I realised that the auto throttle hadn't turned off with the rest of the autopilot, which had gone off with 3 miles to go at 1,500ft. I quickly opened the autopilot panel and tried to shut of auto throttle, but it wouldn't turn off. I ended up in the sea off the end of 27. Perhaps it'll be 4th time lucky (hmm 8 hrs to gibraltar, itd've been quicker to walk).

Note to self never trust that turning off autopilot turns off autopilot.

:banghead:

BTW My plan is still

Trident LIRS - LXGB
Trident LXGB - LPPT
(Tentative) Argosy LPPT - LPPD

I might be a little late.....

Flyin Bull
February 7th, 2009, 04:51
Just stocking up on supplies at Lisbon :guinness::guinness::guinness::guinness::guinness: :icon29::icon29::icon29::icon29: Gonna get to LPPD early to set up the bar (gotta work Sunday)

Steve

Flyin Bull
February 7th, 2009, 07:26
Safely arrived at LPPD (Ponta Delgada) gonna have a walk round and find a site to set up the beer tent.:wiggle:

Steve

srgalahad
February 7th, 2009, 12:14
The bar?:ernae::ernae:

Right THERE!!!! .. by the pool!!!

Firebar
February 7th, 2009, 13:04
Woo Hoo, made it to Gib at last. I think I'll be late for the festivities though. I'll make up the (bar) replensihment flight.

Dangerousdave26
February 7th, 2009, 14:47
Woo Hoo, made it to Gib at last. I think I'll be late for the festivities though. I'll make up the (bar) replensihment flight.

:applause::applause::applause:

You learned more than you realize by suffering through the ruff landings.

Congradulations.

MaddogK
February 7th, 2009, 19:25
I think i'm gonna cry.

I got the trident into Gib finally, third time lucky you know. Touched down perfectly, began roll out with brakes and spoilers and tried the reverse thrust. It didn't work, and my speed was picking back up to 130 kts. I realised that the auto throttle hadn't turned off with the rest of the autopilot, which had gone off with 3 miles to go at 1,500ft. I quickly opened the autopilot panel and tried to shut of auto throttle, but it wouldn't turn off. I ended up in the sea off the end of 27. Perhaps it'll be 4th time lucky (hmm 8 hrs to gibraltar, itd've been quicker to walk).

Note to self never trust that turning off autopilot turns off autopilot.

:banghead:

BTW My plan is still

Trident LIRS - LXGB
Trident LXGB - LPPT
(Tentative) Argosy LPPT - LPPD

I might be a little late.....

Good job, that autothrottle almost killed me a few times also- you'd think it would go off with the otto, dern engineers put in an extra switch for it.

At least FS airplanes are cheap, just restart !

Flork
February 8th, 2009, 09:46
I ended up in the drink at Gibraltar as well, can't seem to slow these big birds down...

Firebar
February 8th, 2009, 10:41
Landed Sucessfully at Lisbon @ 19:40 Zulu, I'm starting to get the hang of visual landings in the Trident now.

Now I just have to find time for the last leg.

I reckon I could have done it today but for playing in a rugby game and watching Wales v Scotland in the 6 Nations. Come on You Reds!

:wales::wales::wales::wales: