PDA

View Full Version : New 50 gallon drop tank by Allen!

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 15:25
Hi guys!

It is I with yet another missing object request!

Installed the Iris_Australian_P-40 pack and get the following missing object message:

drop_tank_50gal

Assistance with locating said object would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
MR

PS I am almost finished organizing, culling-through and installing mass quantities of old downloaded but never unzipped/installed AC. :triumphant: So there shouldn't be many more of these random requests.

MR

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 18:03
Well,

I didn't find the tank but after googling on "iris p-40 drop_tank_50gal" I found a SOH CFS2 discussion thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/archive/index.php/t-78648.html) from May 24, 2013 that addressed the issue. In that thread kwb737 offered the following solution:

May 25th, 2013, 09:46

"Anyone know where I can find a 50 Gal. drop tank for the Iris P 40's?They are lacking a 50 Gal Drop tank and I can't find one anywhere."

Hi hurricane! I may have a solution to your problem. I did an extensive search last night, and I couldn't locate a drop tank with the name "drop_tank_50gal" either. It seemed rather odd that the creator of the aircraft did not have the drop tank entry in the DP file match up with what was in the OBJECTS DP and SCENEDB folders concerning the drop tank that came with this aircraft. It's almost like it was an error on his part when he made the entry in the DP file. Anyway that being said this is what I did. First I deleted the CDP file. Next (assuming you had already installed the contents of your OBJECTS DP and SCENEDB folders) I renamed the entry "drop_tank_50gal" to "wep_P40_drop" in your DP folder. Loaded the plane up and there the tank was!! Let me know what you think? Looks good to me, but you may or may not need to tweak the location a bit, up, down, forward, back to suit your taste. Hope this helps. The only problem is it will not drop off of the aircraft when activated to do so. Maybe somebody here can help with that particular problem.:salute:

This solution works just fine for me- even though the drop tank can not be dropped. I rarely use them anyway.

Cheers,
MR

PS: Where kwb737 wrote "....to "wep_P40_drop" in your DP folder", he meant dp file.

Typhoon Willy
July 3rd, 2016, 18:37
Hi MR,

Combed through my drop tanks, nearest that I have is a 52 gal drop tank, if you're interested.

TW

Allen
July 3rd, 2016, 18:50
The drop tanks may not be dropable as the .air may not a drop tank listed.

I could proby make a tank for you. My info on the tanks says it was the same shape as the 75 gal but smaller.

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 19:19
TW and Allen,

I appreciate the offers guys.

I'll take you both up! :encouragement:

Allen, please let me know if you need me to supply you with anything in the way of the AC's files.

Thanks
MR

Allen
July 3rd, 2016, 20:28
Work on the Drop Tanks is mostly done. Can I get a link to the aircraft that needs the drop tank? (or just the model and DP) I would like to make sure that the tank set up to fit with the DP that it came with.

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 21:17
Work on the Drop Tanks is mostly done. Can I get a link to the aircraft that needs the drop tank? (or just the model and DP) I would like to make sure that the tank set up to fit with the DP that it came with.

Sure. Here ya go, Allen:

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 21:32
BTW- there are four different AC models in this pack: 1a, 2 ,3 and 4. The mdl file appears to be the same for each- at least it is named identically for all four. However the dps are named differently. I sent 1a above. Here are the other 3 in case you need them.

Allen
July 3rd, 2016, 22:02
Done!

Once Rami is back IF the read me will allow it I'm cool with the drop tank being included with the aircraft/aircrafts so we won't have deal with this missing drop tank prob again.

If all else fails I will uploaded the drop tank by it self and Rami can edit the description for the P-40 to link to the drop tank upload.

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 22:33
Done!

Once Rami is back IF the read me will allow it I'm cool with the drop tank being included with the aircraft/aircrafts so we won't have deal with this missing drop tank prob again.

If all else fails I will uploaded the drop tank by it self and Rami can edit the description for the P-40 to link to the drop tank upload.

Allen, what can I say. That was darn nice of you. Thanks very much.

Just out of curiosity, will it drop when told to?

Here is the entire readme file:

Iris Australian P-40 for CFS2
FS9 and TEXTURES BY Iris

http://www.irissimulations.com/product-classics-p40.php

DP, AIR & CFG FILES BY Peperez (PEPE REZENDE)
pepe_rezende@yahoo.com.br

PANEL BY Peperez (using a Krzysztof Malinowski bmp)

The Kittyhawk was the main fighter used by the RAAF in World War II, in greater numbers than the Spitfire. Two RAAF squadrons serving with the Desert Air Force, No. 3 and No. 450 Squadrons, were the first Australian units to be assigned P-40s. In all, 18 RAAF pilots became aces while flying P-40s.

Dimensions and performance:
Length: 31 ft, 8 in.
Wing span: 37 ft, 4 in.
Empty Weight: 6400 lbs.
Power: 1040 hp Allison V-1710-73 12cylinder liquid cooled
max speed: 362 at 15000ft.
Initial climb rate: 2150ft/min.

WARNING
THIS IS FREEWARE and can not be sold or included in any package without necessary authors license. The plane was tested but use it at your own risk. No responsibilities for any damage to your computer.

June/2009

Meanwhile I'll load it up and have some fun!

Cheers,,
MR

Allen
July 3rd, 2016, 22:55
It is dropping using my test .air file. If the tank won't drop for you check .air file. Make sure it has a external tank and that the external tank has fuel.

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 23:12
Hmmm,

It doesn't drop for me using the supplied air file. When I open the air file in AirEd (the extent of my editing skill-set with air files) I don't see anything that looks remotely related to a drop tank. What should I be looking for?

Find attached the air file:

MR

MaskRider
July 3rd, 2016, 23:14
It sure looks up to the job!

http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/iris-AU_Kittyhawk_Mk4-w-allens-50gal-drop-tank.jpg

MR

Allen
July 3rd, 2016, 23:30
Drop Tanks are listed as 534 *Fuel External 1 Tank and 535 *Fuel External 2 Tank. If the .air file dosen't have *Fuel External 1 Tank (or *Fuel External 2 Tank if you need it) best to copy the data from another aircraft. Any of the stock aircraft will work.

534 *Fuel External 1 Tank and click on it. Now Right click and use Copy to Clipboard. Now us Aired to open the .air file that dosen't have a drop tank. Click on any data and go to Add from Clipboard. This will put the 534 *Fuel External 1 into the .air file.

Find the 534 *Fuel External 1 and expand it. You will likey need to edit the Fuel Tank Number. For the .air file you attached the 534 *Fuel External 1 will need to be Fuel Tank Number of 5 as 1 to 4 are already use for internal fuel.

Now the offsets. The quickest thing to do is to put the Left/Right, Up/Down and Forward/Backward offsets at 0 OR use the location of the drop tank from the DP and use it in the .air file. The DP is Meters so you will need to convert this to Feet.

Next is the amout of fuel in US gal.

The other 2 data points are fine how they are.

Below is the .aif file you sent me with the needed work done.

MaskRider
July 4th, 2016, 01:08
Thanks Allen!

That was fun!

I copied the required section from the stock Corsair. Then entered the converted offset values from the AU_Kittyhawk_1a.dp. Entered in the 50 gal capcity value. and left the rest alone.

http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/AU_Kittyhawk_1a-air-edited.jpg

And here are the results! Drop_tank_50gal away!
http://www.mask-rider.net/MaskRider2008/resources/50gal-drop-tank-bombs-away.jpg

I'll go ahead and make the same changes to the other AC in the pack and everything will be squared away.

Once again, Allen, thanks very much.
:ernaehrung004:

Its always fun learning new stuff!

MR

PS: 50 gallons hardly seems worth the trouble, eh? ;^)

Rami
July 4th, 2016, 01:36
Wow...all that progress in less than 24 hours! :encouragement:

Typhoon Willy
July 4th, 2016, 01:36
MR,

I also found a P-40 drop tank with a separate pylon:39672

And here's the 52 gal tank (no additional pylon, however):39673

Kind regards,

TW

MaskRider
July 4th, 2016, 02:17
MR,

I also found a P-40 drop tank with a separate pylon:39672

And here's the 52 gal tank (no additional pylon, however):39673

Kind regards,

TW

Thanks very much, TW.

I'll add them to the mix!

MR

Allen
July 4th, 2016, 09:59
MaskRider it looks like your using and older version of Aired. I believe the current version is 1.52.

EDIT: Looks like I have a updated aired.ini that we don't have here at SOH. Will fix that soon!

Allen
July 5th, 2016, 15:48
Did you upload the P-40s?

Allen
July 7th, 2016, 09:45
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/201214679133562529.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Other Add-Ons

Description: This a drop tank I made for the Iris Australian P-40 for CFS2. The original download is missing the needed drop tank.

Screen shot by MaskRider.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit 50 gal drop tank for Iris Australian P-40s.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=21586&catid=17)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.