PDA

View Full Version : P-38 "Red Bull"

Moses03
February 5th, 2009, 09:34
Not a fan of the corporate decorated warbird (only noseart in this instance), but this one looks really nice. Reminds me of the XP-38 with the polished aluminum finish.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27706

Hurricane
February 5th, 2009, 09:52
I'm not a fan of non-historic schemes but it does look quite good. I think thats possibly because it does look quite close to the XP-38 scheme.
Much nicer than what they did to the sea vixen, having said that it might look nicer in 899sqn colours but it doesn't seem to do much flying any more!

lefty
February 5th, 2009, 10:16
Hmm, I suppose by Red Bull standards it is quite tasteful, but still unnecessary in my opinion.
A bit like painting your Bugatti pink.

tigisfat
February 6th, 2009, 21:47
I just saw this aircraft a few weeks ago in Abilene. Apparently the place/guy that restores a fair amount of these birds is close to here, and it was in town for avionics work.

I crawled all around and in it for a while (the avionics guy is a buddy). Later, while I was doing touch and goes, it left. It took off as I was turning final; an American Eagle flight holding short said this:

American eagle flight: "Tower, eagle flight xxxx, say type aircraft that just took off?"

Tower: "eagle flight xxxx; You're not losing your mind, type aircraft was P-38 lightning...and judging by his groundspeed, you'll never catch up with him in that regional jet"

American eagle flight: "...............wow............"