PDA

View Full Version : The scents of an airport

EMatheson
June 28th, 2016, 10:10
There is something queerly comforting and reassuring about the reek of dyed diesel and jet A. There is an agrarian joy to the stink of cut (or crushed) grass... And equally a bucolic floral niceness to veg run wild. There is even something to be said for the smell of hot tar or asphalt and the lithic sharpness of dust and concrete.

But I have nothing good to say about the cruel stench of deicing foam. That smells like the devil's diarrhea after logging on a diet of nothing but onions and garlic for month...

Tom Clayton
June 28th, 2016, 15:29
The smell of the exhaust on the old smoker jets is one that I always loved. Newer, more efficient engines produce no odor at all, even at idle.

Flyboy208
June 28th, 2016, 18:01
Just quit my last FBO Job almost a year a go as A Line Manager, some smells are great others not so much, like servicing a lav on a Challenger on a hot windy day ! Mike :a1310:

Navy Chief
June 28th, 2016, 18:09
I miss a flightline filled with A-7Es, engines spooling up, and plane captains going through their checks of all the flight control surfaces. Then taxiing out for a sortie, and then watching them taxi back, wheels chocked, and engines shut down. The smell of JP5 exhaust......:encouragement: NC

Dev One
June 28th, 2016, 23:09
The smell of an aircraft is one of its own....at least in the 'old' days (1950/60's)......fabric tautening dope, fresh cellulose paint, petrol or kerosene, & then DTD585 hydraulic oil added to it.
Keith

b52bob
June 29th, 2016, 05:55
Ah, the smell behind a older b-52 as she taxis out. Also love the smell inside cockpits.

i just love airplanes I guess.

papab
June 29th, 2016, 20:27
Every time I am at the airport and smell the jet exhaust it reminds me of the times I spent on the flight deck of a carrier in the 70's.....
Rick

Flyboy208
June 29th, 2016, 20:32
Every time I am at the airport and smell the jet exhaust it reminds me of the times I spent on the flight deck of a carrier in the 70's.....
Rick

Correct you are ! Served on the Nimitz flightdeck twice as well as The Lincoln ... nothing compares ! Mike :wavey:

papab
June 30th, 2016, 04:27
Correct you are ! Served on the Nimitz flightdeck twice as well as The Lincoln ... nothing compares ! Mike :wavey:

Saratoga,Forrestal and Independence-All 3 were Med Cruises
Rick
ADJ2