PDA

View Full Version : Abrams P-1 Explorer WIP

gman5250
June 28th, 2016, 05:51
After doing the conversion on Mr. Shupe's F7F Tigercat, I felt the need to do an airplane from the ground up...so to speak. This is my first ever airplane model but I'm enjoying the learning curve.

I became interested in the Abrams P-1 Explorer after seeing it on another thread, and began doing some research. The model is at a level that I feel comfortable showing the airplane as a WIP. At this point the exterior model still needs some details added and the interior model is a basic place holder. Note that the radial is borrowed from another model I'm working on and will be replaced with the Wright R975 as the model progresses.

This variant is a representation of the original survey airplane with the three blade propeller that was added to the later models just prior to the project being shelved at the start of WWII. It's a shame that this plane never reached it's potential, as the prototypes made 200 MPH @ FL20. Not bad.

The model is being developed for FSX, FSX ST and Prepar3D.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7310/27856799312_793b998e38_o.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7399/27856796372_e492e4600a_o.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7447/27856785482_88d89bd27e_o.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7398/27856791842_51c7951c4a_o.jpg

b52bob
June 28th, 2016, 06:02
Beautiful modeling. Quite an unusual aircraft that I never heard of. Looking forward to this one.

DaveB
June 28th, 2016, 06:27
Nice to see something completely new too:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

Moses03
June 28th, 2016, 06:36
Fantastic work. Really looking forward to this rare bird.:encouragement:

flaviossa
June 28th, 2016, 06:52
Wow, never heard about that before. Amazing looking bird. It reminds me of the bad guys plane from "Rocketeer" comic book.

Bjoern
June 28th, 2016, 07:09
Oddly enough, I'm a bit interested. Probably for the view from the VC.

P.S:
Wikipedia says this was the first aircraft to use curved plexiglass for its windows.

thefrog
June 28th, 2016, 08:04
I came across this Youtube clip a while ago and thought then that it would be great to fly it in FSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsaAeLaNr60

Roger
June 28th, 2016, 09:17
Love it!:applause:

big-mike
June 28th, 2016, 09:25
Wow---what an ugly beautiful airplane!
Can`t wait to fly it.
Mike

gaucho_59
June 28th, 2016, 09:37
Carry on... please...
G.

Paul Domingue
June 28th, 2016, 10:03
What a beautiful model gman. And your textures are superb! I love vintage aircraft and you have found one that sparks the imagination. Looking forward to trying this one out myself.

Seahawk72s
June 28th, 2016, 12:11
Your modeling and texturing are absolutely 1st class...!

huub vink
June 28th, 2016, 12:35
Absolute eye candy. The model is great but the texturing is absolutely stunning! :encouragement:

Cheers,
Huub

Naismith
June 28th, 2016, 12:38
That has to be the ugliest thing to take to the sky since the Vickers Wellesley. I want it. :adoration:

Milton Shupe
June 28th, 2016, 12:49
Absolute eye candy. The model is great but the texturing is absolutely stunning! :encouragement:

Cheers,
Huub

Great stuff gman! Love how it's coming together. :applause:

FooFighter7
June 28th, 2016, 12:57
The nose reminds me of the Sikorsky H-5. Looks amazing. Can't wait to fly it

YoYo
June 28th, 2016, 14:51
The model looks very nice, crg! ... but can't resist for this comparison ;) :

http://img28.staticclassifieds.com/images_tablicapl/252502795_2_644x461_stara-witryna-dodaj-zdjecia.jpg

BrittMac
June 28th, 2016, 15:36
I really like it, and I think you are knocking it out of the park.

As far as what it looks like to me? The nose is straight out of early Sikorsky helo. R4? Can't remember the designation.

Sundog
June 28th, 2016, 16:04
That looks awesome! This is going to be a great touring plane. I remember flying one of these back in either FS2002 or 2004 and I enjoyed it, but this looks outstanding. I also remember the same guy who made the old one also made a four engine pusher prop commuter plane, but I can't remember the make.

You've made a lot of progress since the first pics. Nice work. :)

txnetcop
June 28th, 2016, 16:05
What Big_Mike said :applause::applause::applause:
Ted

papab
June 28th, 2016, 16:13
Looking forward to this
Beautiful modeling and textures as everyone has pointed out
Rick

glh
June 28th, 2016, 16:31
Gman:

I am beginning to think that you and Milton Shupe are one and the same -- just a Shapeshifter as the situation requires !!!:mixed-smiley-010:

Unusual and great choice and looking fine.

tommieboy
June 28th, 2016, 17:04
Beautiful!

Tommy

Flyboy208
June 28th, 2016, 17:53
Really cool project Gordon, always a treat in FS to see something rare and unusual brought to life. Such talent you have and we appreciate it ! Mike :wavey:

gman5250
June 28th, 2016, 19:58
Thank you all for your very kind comments.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that if Mr. Shupe and I are shape shifted...he is by far the better looking of the two. :biggrin-new:
I was a bit rushed this AM when I originally posted so I'll expand a bit now that I've got time.

Like I said, this is my first complete build although I have quite a bit of design experience with scenery, specifically in Prepar3D. I'm also spending quite a bit of design time utilizing Quixel for my scenery models. For this model I'm building the cockpit using a modular approach i.e. the quadrant is a separate model as well as the rudder pedals, overhead panel and controls. Each model will be painted using the real time 3D modeling feature Quixel brings to Photoshop. Being able to paint textures and bump maps in real time and three dimensions is a quantum step forward IMHO.

The basic airplane model is being developed around a grayscale skin that is tailored to the Prepar3D light rendering engine and DX10+ capability. For example, the cockpit Plexiglas interior reflections use the new Dynamic Reflections feature in P3D to render real time reflections inside the "office". This is a bit of a challenge because the DR cameras are still a bit underdeveloped IMHO, but should come into focus nicely very much like P3D cloud and shadow rendering has improved with each build.

The exterior model is designed to throw light as realistically as possible before the textures are applied. The textures shown in the screen caps are designed around this modality with some interesting adaptations of alpha and specular values operating in synch with the light engine. The airplane is very dynamic as you pan around in various light conditions.

The one thing I have come to appreciate about this rare airplane is the absolute brilliance of its designer. The platform was intended to provide an unobstructed view for the pilot and cameras, but most will notice that many features of this airplane found their way into service in WWII in one form or another. The airplane was a real performer once it was fitted with the Wright R-975E-1 radial and three blade prop. I've modeled both the two blade and three blade variants, but have shown the #12 bird as more of a restoration version as it might have appeared with the lovely 3 blade pusher configuration. The final model will offer both variants.

The real world airplane had an initial climb rate of 1400 FPM and the FM as it stands now produces a climb rate of about 1000 FPM @ 132 knots.

The nicest aspect of the model as it now stands is the pilots view. When you sit in the seat the view down between the pedals and out the sides creates a sense of flying in a fish bowl. The real world pilot must have felt as if he were suspended in mid air by magic. The dynamic reflections and shadows on the interior plexi create a very realistic sense of immersion when flying over an ORBX or photoreal scenery. I'm really enjoying the beta flying.

With the large wing area and stability resulting from placing torque at the airplane's C/G, the plane achieves lift off easily and flys off with very little wander, even in moderate cross wind. The power to weight ratio is very high, so climb out feels effortless as the plane just kind of floats up to working altitude.

All in all, I'm really glad that I stumbled across this absolute gem.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7321/27895260361_d288d0722a_o.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7388/27938251076_c6d3c21074_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7405/27856789432_eb09cd71a8_o.jpg

BTW, I've got another plane on the burner as well...by request. I'm still finishing up the animation and it needs a complete VC, but I'll post more on that a bit later.

Jafo
June 28th, 2016, 22:39
Dang that looks good...;)

roger-wilco-66
June 28th, 2016, 22:52
Very nice work on an unusual and unique aircraft!
The front nacelle reminds me a bit of the Sikorsky S-51 helicopter.

Cheers,
Mark

glh
June 29th, 2016, 09:19
Very nice work on an unusual and unique aircraft!
The front nacelle reminds me a bit of the Sikorsky S-51 helicopter.

Cheers,
Mark

Yes, that thought struck me also.

nordmanni
June 30th, 2016, 13:11
Absolutely blown away... great work, and thanks for sharing the progress with everyone.

fsxar177
June 30th, 2016, 13:13
I love seeing these rare and unusual aircraft come to life! +1!

Clutch Cargo
July 1st, 2016, 07:13
I Luv it! It reminds of the type of vehicle one would see in the 'ol flightsim 'Crimson Skies'. :applause:

gman5250
July 11th, 2016, 18:59
Progress report:

Lots more detail added as illustrated in the screenshots.

I've got a basic cockpit built, textured and animated...no live gauges yet, but placeholders. The cockpit and airplane textures are ready to take into Quixel for hyper detailing. Lighting is live, shown here with A2A Shockwave enabled. All interior surfaces and fabrics are bump mapped and spec enabled. Flying the airplane in changing light will produce wonderful light on the various metal and paint surfaces. Moving through clouds the panel surfaces become vey light dynamic. With the changes in the new P3D it may necessary for devs to build specific models for this version forward, although the airplane works well in FSX, ST and earlier P3D.

All in all, P3D 3.35 and a DX10+ card give a guy a pretty big stick to open the creative doors. IMHO

The cockpit interior reflections are taking on a very realistic representation in P3D with DR enabled. The fishbowl effect is extremely convincing.

Bottom line:
With multiple 4096x4096 32bit textures, P3D sliders all maxed including Dynamic Reflections, high def PR scenery and heavy density weather...FPS averages around 50 in the air, 35 on the ground. (specs are in my signature).

Thoughts and observations are welcomed.

Prepar3D 3.3.5 | Weather P3D "Building Storms" | REX TD/Soft Clouds | P3D Dynamic Reflections Enabled | KBIH Owens Valley by ******** | KLAS aerial by MSE Terrain
https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7530/28150832102_178af47d50_o.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8749/28254782985_7a3f584522_o.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8809/28150828142_b842915e38_o.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7513/27975601590_d27b07db8c_o.jpg

gman5250
July 11th, 2016, 19:03
https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8867/28255330495_4a3d33b1ba_o.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8680/27974223370_19aa6c933b_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8667/28220574696_ba4da7d577_o.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7628/27973682750_9e16019c15_o.jpg

Jafo
July 11th, 2016, 19:03
It looks brilliant...;)

Milton Shupe
July 11th, 2016, 19:20
It just keeps getting more stunning! :applause:

gman5250
July 11th, 2016, 19:54

Thank you sir. :encouragement:

Daveroo
July 11th, 2016, 20:36
wow thats nice.and the owens valley..never been there,but lone pine is my next home...i hope...ive always day dreamed of a plane like this,or something similar,my idea is to have 2 seats right up front in a "glass nose",with a view directly downward as well..maybe the pilot/pilots higher up and behind...the two infront being spotters or observers for fire or law enforcement...or..same idea,only one up front in a movable turret,like the nose turret on a B24,only one with great vis downward...along with the goodies modern electronics give.and optics........oh hell i know what i mean anyway............:encouragement:

Sundog
July 11th, 2016, 21:04
That is looking awesome. It <i>is</i> going to be a great exploration plane, after I install new scenery and need to go check it out. ;)

I can't wait to get me new PC built and start flying P3D as well, so I can check out all of those new cool effects.

b52bob
July 11th, 2016, 21:14
Absolute wow!

ce_zeta
July 12th, 2016, 00:05
Incredible Gordon, as usual. :encouragement:

huub vink
July 12th, 2016, 00:36

I can only agree................

Huub

Cees Donker
July 12th, 2016, 07:36
I must have been flying too much! Gordon, this is awesome! Incredible good modelling. Never saw this one coming!:applause:

:dizzy:

Cees

txnetcop
July 12th, 2016, 08:54
I figured that is where the instrument panel would be...simply OUTSTANDING!
Ted

Navy Chief
July 12th, 2016, 09:10
It truly is a work of art. I imagine the view from the cockpit is awesome, given the position - right out in front! NC

gman5250
July 12th, 2016, 09:24
I figured that is where the instrument panel would be...simply OUTSTANDING!
Ted

I was lucky enough to get some high res shots of the airframe awaiting restoration at the Smithsonian, but there is not a lot of data on the cockpit layout apart from the hulk as it sits now.
The instrument layout is a complete scientific wildazz guess. The airplane was pressurized, so I'm setting up that system in the right pilot switch panel array. I can place the hardware and plumbing based on the photos I have.

The rudder pedal setup is very unique for this airplane, and it sits right out in full view...so....I'm trying to suss out how the cables etc. ran at the cockpit bottom. I've got a pretty good idea. Same for the quadrant. The cowl flaps look like they were operated by a large knob/cable setup that runs in a huge, exposed conduit. That one will be really unique and will develop the ambiance in the "office" in a very 30's way.

I've still got to correctly model the pilot and passenger doors, which had a lovely cathedral arch look. Vent windows are in the works tool.

Concurrently, I'm working on another plane at the request of the original developer. That one is in the animation/coding stage with the VC in early modeling stages. I tend to break up projects in order to not get buried.

Hey Cees.
Funny thing about flying. I go to beta test the model(s) or scenery projects and only get a few minutes of seat time, then go back to the modeling. It's getting to the point where the modeling is more intoxicating than the sim. :very_drunk:

gman5250
July 12th, 2016, 09:28
It truly is a work of art. I imagine the view from the cockpit is awesome, given the position - right out in front! NC

In the screen caps, the VC shot out the front says it all. With the live lighting and reflections the pilot view is kind of breathtaking. You look down through your legs and see terrain floating by.

Funny thing about that particular screen shot Chief, I was flying the plane on autopilot from KBIH to KLAS which is about an hour and a quarter. I went back to 3DStudio to do some modeling work and when I came back to the sim...there was that incredible view looking east towards Lake Mead. I hit the PrtScn key and saved that gem.

gman5250
July 12th, 2016, 09:32
wow thats nice.and the owens valley..never been there,but lone pine is my next home...i hope...ive always day dreamed of a plane like this,or something similar,my idea is to have 2 seats right up front in a "glass nose",with a view directly downward as well..maybe the pilot/pilots higher up and behind...the two infront being spotters or observers for fire or law enforcement...or..same idea,only one up front in a movable turret,like the nose turret on a B24,only one with great vis downward...along with the goodies modern electronics give.and optics........oh hell i know what i mean anyway............:encouragement:

Well...you need to get out to the Owens Valley ASAP Dave. lol

BTW, I've slated the entire Eastern Sierra from China Lake to Reno Stead for development to the same level you've seen in my screen shots and video. If you haven't seen the video, go to YouTube and search ********...you'll see all my current work there.

If you're going to Lone Pine you'll be looking straight up 15,000ft. at Mt. Whitney. I'll be 3D mesh modeling that whole section of the range when I do the Lone Pine scenery.

heywooood
July 12th, 2016, 09:32
outstanding work, Gman..thank you for taking the time out to post updates.
I had seen a few photo's of this airframe in an old copy of Air & Space..totally anachronistic to the '30s era - beautiful design.
I'm sure you will capture the cockpit experience utterly
Carry on and thank you for your efforts

Navy Chief
July 12th, 2016, 09:52
Although not exactly the type of aircraft you'd see doing touch & goes on a carrier, I will have to try it, just for the view from that cockpit! NC

gman5250
July 12th, 2016, 10:11
Although not exactly the type of aircraft you'd see doing touch & goes on a carrier, I will have to try it, just for the view from that cockpit! NC

Stall speed @75 MPH...
Carrier speed 33 Knots

You'd come over the transom around 45 MPH relative. Easypeasy....

Navy Chief
July 12th, 2016, 12:33
Stall speed @75 MPH...
Carrier speed 33 Knots

You'd come over the transom around 45 MPH relative. Easypeasy....

Yep, the view will be killer! :encouragement:

gman5250
July 13th, 2016, 10:53
I've never gone through the process of building an airplane before, but my philosophy is learn along the way and do it right...to the best of my ability.

The process includes learning Quixel, an extremely powerful Photoshop addon. IMHO, this is some of the best money I've spent in a long time. At the outset, I committed to constructing the interior as a Quixel learning process. I've attached some preliminary shots of the Quadrant with basic texturing applied in the Quixel workflow.

The main advantage of Quixel is that it lets the artist develop normal and albedo (texture) maps in live 3D space with all lighting, specular and bumps active. It affords a painter a view of how the finished "live" model will behave in the simulator. It's a big learning curve, and very much an artistic exploration. Fun stuff.

The screens are live renders from the application in Photoshop...no post processing or enhancements.

Comments and input always appreciated.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8747/28289419105_73740da54e_o.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8732/28007900410_5bedc31941_o.jpg

TuFun
July 13th, 2016, 12:09
I agree "G"... Quixel is a phenomenal add on tool for PS. It's a must have for me!!! :adoration: The proof is in your example of the P-1!! :encouragement:

davido53
July 13th, 2016, 15:58
wow

someone knows what they're doing...

tankerguy72
July 13th, 2016, 18:17
beautiful model and texture work

huub vink
July 14th, 2016, 01:58
Nice work G. :encouragement:

And I envy you as I would love to be able to use Quixel, but this would require a completely new PC and quite some new software. But the result pf the things you do with it really looks amazing.

Cheers,
Huub

eagleye100
July 14th, 2016, 05:27
I'm not artist or an expert modeler like you but all I can say is "mind blowingly cool stuff".

Mach3DS
July 14th, 2016, 05:33
Looking really nice G! the Lever handles wood grain and paint wear with the bumps are absolutely superb! The best I've seen. Are you using specular in the VC? That's one thing I've noticed that is lacking in many aircraft. Generic VC specular. Custom specular in the VC and detailed bump mapping will really bring out the realism and immersion which this obviously does! Nice work!

gman5250
July 14th, 2016, 06:10
Looking really nice G! the Lever handles wood grain and paint wear with the bumps are absolutely superb! The best I've seen. Are you using specular in the VC? That's one thing I've noticed that is lacking in many aircraft. Generic VC specular. Custom specular in the VC and detailed bump mapping will really bring out the realism and immersion which this obviously does! Nice work!

Thanks Rick,

I'm definitely including bump and spec in all of the interior modeling. It's always been a disappointment to me in many payware aircraft that those features are left on the design room floor...doesn't make sense. At this stage of the project I'm flying the airplane in heavier weather conditions to gauge light changes inside the cockpit. At this point the bump/spec active components are very convincing. You know the drill, keep experimenting with alpha and other bits till things look good.

tankerguy72
July 14th, 2016, 19:48
Gman just a question, Is the Tigercat VC taking a backseat to this project? No worries if it is because I cant imagine how great itll be with the techniques youre learning on this one :applause:

Duckie
July 14th, 2016, 20:07
Simply beautiful, Gordan.

gman5250
July 14th, 2016, 20:32
Gman just a question, Is the Tigercat VC taking a backseat to this project? No worries if it is because I cant imagine how great itll be with the techniques youre learning on this one :applause:

You hit the nail right on the head. I'm using this project as a training exercise, then moving to other projects. The instrumentation is fairly basic, so building the VC instrumentation will school me for the more complex airplanes.

The F7F is top of the list, as well as the Brewster Buffalo I'm working on concurrent with the P-1. Just to keep it in context though, the planes are lower priority to the scenery projects that are the focus of 90% of my work. It's a must to release the scenery to provide an income stream.

The planes are R&R when I cant bear to look at SDK autogen any longer. lol

roger-wilco-66
July 14th, 2016, 21:27
Very nice work, Gordon.
I also bought Quixel when it was on sale some time ago. I feel I have never spend so little money on an application of such a huge usefulness.
I use it mainly for creating scenery objects. Took a while to get used to it (still ongoing, of course). Gone are the days of sloppy texturing or UV mapping.
I like the way it teaches you to use bump mapping as a powerful means of adding detail and realism to a texture map, without adding to the vertex count. That was one of the most important lessons I learned so far by using it.

Cheers,
Mark

gman5250
July 15th, 2016, 06:57
Very nice work, Gordon.
I also bought Quixel when it was on sale some time ago. I feel I have never spend so little money on an application of such a huge usefulness.
I use it mainly for creating scenery objects. Took a while to get used to it (still ongoing, of course). Gone are the days of sloppy texturing or UV mapping.
I like the way it teaches you to use bump mapping as a powerful means of adding detail and realism to a texture map, without adding to the vertex count. That was one of the most important lessons I learned so far by using it.

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark. Man, it's a game changer for sure...and more than excellent value for the money. The P-1 cockpit cage has a go-zillion rivets that hold in the plexi...both internal and external that need to be lined up and correctly space (and counted). Rivet counters dream.

I'm doing the cage in Quixel where I can hand place each rivet and make corrections on the fly. Trying to locate all of the various frame faces in the 3DS Max UVW and Photoshop was excruciating. In QX it's an entirely different experience. I'll even be able to paint in welds in all of the appropriate joints. Nice!

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8885/27710398443_7c4aebf43d_o.jpg

gman5250
July 17th, 2016, 07:47
Progress:

Seats in a fairly clean presentation.

Photoshop CS6/Quixel screen caps
https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8890/27751009034_2142a77565_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8687/27751014784_5e30b8d3c0_o.jpg

roger-wilco-66
July 17th, 2016, 08:59
Gordon, did you try to burn AO maps into the textures yet (I haven't gone that far)? I'm not sure if burning is supported at all in DDO.

Cheers,
Mark

gman5250
July 17th, 2016, 12:33
Gordon, did you try to burn AO maps into the textures yet (I haven't gone that far)? I'm not sure if burning is supported at all in DDO.

Cheers,
Mark

I'm still novice in the Qx curve Mark, but at this point I'm burning the textures in QX and importing the raw PS files into my master texture folders. I put those files in layers, then layer in my own bits like the markings on the throttle. Figuring out this workflow is going to take some seat time, but as I move along I'm sure I'll continually improve on setups.

These caps show the QX art installed and active in the sim. One note, QX spec is a bit strong for P3D, so that has to be hand tweaked as well as bump alpha and other layers. The interior model is still way too clean, but I'll be adding age once I get the basic work laid out.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7440/27757375853_0558d122c1_o.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8381/28269434052_556639a5cf_o.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8588/28097520170_31c5b54f64_o.jpg

Desert Rat
July 17th, 2016, 12:41
Gordon,

looking great, but please allow me to ask a question and also excuse my ignorance.

Is your model created in Max/Gmax/blender/etc and then textured from within Photoshop via quixel? What modelling programs can be used and which versions of Photoshop are compatible? I did look at it and didn't find any answers to these questions. How is the mapping done, completely from quixel or do you define areas prior, etc?

Sorry to be a pest, and hoping this works with FSDS and CS2 for FS9, lol. When I looked last night it was on offer and the price seems to good to be true for such a powerful tool.

kind regards,
Jamie

gman5250
July 17th, 2016, 13:06
Gordon,

looking great, but please allow me to ask a question and also excuse my ignorance.

Is your model created in Max/Gmax/blender/etc and then textured from within Photoshop via quixel? What modelling programs can be used and which versions of Photoshop are compatible? I did look at it and didn't find any answers to these questions. How is the mapping done, completely from quixel or do you define areas prior, etc?

Sorry to be a pest, and hoping this works with FSDS and CS2 for FS9, lol. When I looked last night it was on offer and the price seems to good to be true for such a powerful tool.

kind regards,
Jamie

No worries Jamie,

My basic workflow goes like this.

This model is 3DS Max 2015/P3D 3.5.5 SDK, but would be the same procedure for GMAX. I don't know Blender so I can't be much help there.

3DS Max:

I have a working model with animations and a copy built for QX that I send to a different working folder. That working copy is sacred, so be sure not to merge the QX model into your working copy. Been there done that...ouch.

The QX model needs to be grouped into very economical mesh groups that correspond to material type i.e. fuselage cage, seats or cockpit components. I arrange those into a hand edited UVW arrangement and group all of the parts into a very logical array, keeping lines as straight as possible.

Quixel offers a plug in for 3DS that will assign colors to various parts of the UVW, which can then be interpreted in the Photoshop/Quixel display to choose materials by color. Once the model parts are color coded, the UVW color map is rendered and will be your color guide once in Photoshop/Qx. There is also a layers option in QX to choose from mesh groups that are grouped according to material.

The actual mesh is exported as a FBX or OBJ to the QX folder containing UVW maps. The working folder should have all of the necessary bits in the same folder to eliminate any conflicts.

Photoshop opens with a QX shortcut or standard Photoshop Icon. The QX addon runs from it's own small menu inside Photoshop. The mesh is loaded into the QX pop up, the UVW materials map is loaded and the 3D model is created via the QX menu. The bitmaps can be edited as standard texture sheets, or via the 3D interface. Once the 3D engine is launched a virtual model opens in it's own display window. There are a gozillion parameters that can be applied to suit your visual preferences. I light the model as it will appear in the sim with bloom and bumps fully active.

The 3D model can be rotated in X,Y,Z by dragging the mouse, and lighting can be manipulated the same. Light source and azimuth are completely controllable so the work can be viewed, with bumps active at different light conditions.

The QX plug in lets you select your various parts by hierarchy or by color and applies the various textures and mask layers.
Example: The Seat
The seat is a single mesh group with four different color layers applied. I select a layer by color and add fabric, wood, plastic or metal to the areas I have color coded. It goes really fast. The entire seat can be done in a minute or two. Once the texture is applied I can brush in details with a paint tool that will follow the 3D model, so if I want wear to follow two or more faces of the mesh, but brush will automatically do the work.

The whole process requires that you strategize ahead of time like in a chess game, but it's pretty logical and not to hard to get accustomed to.

QX has a large library of tutorial videos, but be advised that the edits are extremely fast. The workflow edits are obviously much faster than one would work in real time, and the voice overs cover a lot of ground in a hurry. The tutorials are very good but need to be watched a few times.

All in all...this is good money invested, some of the best I've spent in a long time.

Hope that helps. Bump me back here if you have other questions.

:encouragement:

TuFun
July 17th, 2016, 13:33
Gordon,

kind regards,
Jamie

I believe you 'll need CS6 64 bit for it to work. This question was posted and listed as CS3 as a mistake since it's only 32 bit.

http://polycount.com/discussion/172090/answered-confused-with-minimum-requirement

Dutcheeseblend
July 18th, 2016, 01:08
Gordon,

Stop posting these WIP images. Makes me feel obsolete...:p87:
No, just joking, keep going this fantastic work!

menef
July 18th, 2016, 01:17
Art - work :applause::applause:

greenie
July 18th, 2016, 04:37
....... Just to keep it in context though, the planes are lower priority to the scenery projects that are the focus of 90% of my work. It's a must to release the scenery to provide an income stream.

I am waiting for this scenery release .
You have mentioned a vegetation package your getting together. There has recently been a release of a tree package . Would that be your work ? If so, I'll go and get it .

gman5250
July 21st, 2016, 11:09
I am waiting for this scenery release .
You have mentioned a vegetation package your getting together. There has recently been a release of a tree package . Would that be your work ? If so, I'll go and get it .

The scenery is coming together quietly behind the scenes. The vegetation library is pretty much complete and waiting to release with the other scenery packages.

The tree package that you refer to wasn't mine, but it's good to see some variety being offered. I wasn't really too impressed with the Speed Trees that P3D released, but I'll have something to offer in that area.

I've got the P-1 to a stage where I'm ready to shoot a video. The vid will show the airplane, my scenery and vegetation/autogen packages in a real time environment. It will give those interested a chance to look at the full environment I'm trying to create.

Navy Chief
July 21st, 2016, 13:39
The scenery is coming together quietly behind the scenes. The vegetation library is pretty much complete and waiting to release with the other scenery packages.

The tree package that you refer to wasn't mine, but it's good to see some variety being offered. I wasn't really too impressed with the Speed Trees that P3D released, but I'll have something to offer in that area.

I've got the P-1 to a stage where I'm ready to shoot a video. The vid will show the airplane, my scenery and vegetation/autogen packages in a real time environment. It will give those interested a chance to look at the full environment I'm trying to create.

Gman, I went back through the various posts, but must have missed mention of any scenery? Is it a custom scenery for a airport for this aircraft? NC

Adamski_NZ
July 21st, 2016, 15:11
Wow---what an ugly beautiful airplane!
Can`t wait to fly it.
Mike

My sentiments exactly!!! Looking forward to giving it a whirl!

Adam.

greenie
July 21st, 2016, 21:02

Thank you , looking forward to the vid.

akmatov
January 31st, 2017, 07:57
This is a really interesting aircraft, any further info?

gojozoom
July 27th, 2017, 15:00
This is a really interesting aircraft, any further info?

Yes please, +1

NAVY DOC
August 29th, 2017, 20:17
Really looking forward to this one and the scenery as well.

gman5250
August 30th, 2017, 07:05
Update:

OK gentlemen, here's the latest. I've been updating all of my work for 64bit. The work was designed for 64bit, but there is still a process involved and my archives are extensive.

Looking at the last shots I posted of the Abrams, I see it is time to update. As it stands now, the plane is perfect in P4Dv4, P3Dv3, FSX and FSX SE. I've added a bunch to the interior modeling, bringing more detail into the intricate frame.

Now that I have the new GPU and P3Dv4 synched up, I can shoot some video that really shows the airplane well. I've been kind of down the rabbit hole, updating airplanes and scenery, updating the computer and dialing in the 64bit platform.

Good news is that all the improvements are running at full song, so I can concentrate on the work.

Watch this post for updates.

Thanks for your patience friends. :very_drunk:

LouP
August 30th, 2017, 08:28
Looking forward to this one, thanks.

LouP

Adamski_NZ
August 30th, 2017, 20:15
gman ... can I have your babies? :wiggle::jump: :ernaehrung004:

Adam.

LouP
January 2nd, 2018, 15:25
This thing looks way too cool not bring the thread back to the forefront. :-)

LouP

boxcar
January 2nd, 2018, 18:51
Hope you don't mind, Gordon. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgAk7QGB7w Pretty cool stuff!
Love that Explorer, nice work all the way around-- plane, scenery, and video.

gman5250
January 2nd, 2018, 20:03
Hope you don't mind, Gordon. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgAk7QGB7w Pretty cool stuff!
Love that Explorer, nice work all the way around-- plane, scenery, and video.

No Sir, I don't mind at all. I make the video for people to enjoy.

I've got a ticket in with TFDi Design to test the TrueGlass software. I would love to see this airplane with natural looking rain on all of that beautiful glass. This airplane is much farther along than it was when i made this video. The fuselage interior is much more robust with detailed modeling of the tube cage rendered with the PBR interfaces. It's nice.

This plane was really genius in it's day, and is a fantastic airplane to fly. I'll have to make an updated video with the 64 bit mods. The new GPU lets me do the video work in seamless 4K, which is pretty breathtaking. I'll do that when I get add the TrueGlass mods to the model.

blanston12
January 2nd, 2018, 22:11
Not to pick on this project, as there are now several projects where they once looked on the verge of release and now people are wondering whats happening. I once worked with a seasoned software engineer who one of his favorite sayings was:

The first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

warchild
January 3rd, 2018, 03:22
That thing looks amazing. Bizaar, but amazing.. I must have a copy of it.. What a great way to see the world..

gman5250
January 3rd, 2018, 11:00
Not to pick on this project, as there are now several projects where they once looked on the verge of release and now people are wondering whats happening. I once worked with a seasoned software engineer who one of his favorite sayings was:

I know exactly what they mean. The major contributor was the conversion to 64-bit OS and simulators. I've been updating my library of work and archive material, which has been the priority.
Now that I'm close to completing that task I'm back to modeling. :very_drunk:

b52bob
February 22nd, 2018, 06:09
Really not pestering you as I can see you are probably very busy, but any update on this plane. I’ve lusted after it from the very first post. Thanks for all you do,
Bob