PDA

View Full Version : When did Flight Simulator X Gold Edition become so expensive

William
June 14th, 2016, 20:50
Anyone else noticed how the original Flight Simulator X Gold Edition boxed retail set has become a 50-80 USD game? I remember buying my copy for 15USD at a rural town walmart (It was ''lost stock'' as far as i could tell, last one they had setting on the electronics sales desk along with some original Xbox and PS1 games that the registers wouldnt even read the barcodes on due to them never having been in there current system, keep in mind this is 2012 when this happened) and thinking that was too much for the games age. I only really bought it because of the fact i picked up Combat Flight SImulator 1 and 2 along with FS98 at a thrift store earlier that same year and had been playing the hell out of them (I own around 3x as many flight sims than are mentioned in my signature, including several Commache games from Novalogic).

Whats causing the sharp prices with this version of FSX? the steam editions release should have brought prices down not up since that eliminates people who ''just want to play'' and leaves only collectors and people who dont like big downloads.

Didnt they sell like 2 million copies of FSX? I cant figure out this trend. Bleh is there something im NOT aware of about this release?

wombat666
June 14th, 2016, 21:12
Retail price brand(probably old stock)new ranges from A$20.00 to A$30.00 at most, given that the Pacific Peso is worth around US$00.72 that is a good deal.
And that is at major outlets, probably cheaper in the small retailers.
On 'sale' last year for A$19.95 ........... I purchased three sets!
:encouragement:

William
June 14th, 2016, 21:20
Yeah that was based on me hitting up eBay and Amazon and seeing what the prices were like. Keep in mind were talking about this particular box. Not the Steam Edition

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-X-Gold-Edition-Used-in-Excellent-Condition-/282063016776?hash=item41ac441348:g:XZUAAOSw3ihXS8s 9

It's currently at 10 bids with 23 hours left and its currently positioned to break 50 dollars before it ends. (Im aware 50 dollar's is pocket change to some members of this community)

Its just odd seeing a game that was neither sold in limited numbers nor is from pre-2000 (aka the collectors barrier as i call it) going for that much. This coming from someone who collects Flight Simulators, Video Games, and Computer Hardware and Accesorys as a hobby and imho knows the prices of today fairly well.

Naismith
June 14th, 2016, 22:48
My 2006 copy of FSX (pre any SP's & Accelerations) was $79.99 Canuckian at Best Buy, :biggrin-new:
My subsequent copy of Gold when it emerged was $49 Canuckians.
Then of course FSX-SE cost me $5 in one of their sales.

One day they will pay me at this rate. :applause:

scotth6
June 14th, 2016, 23:47
It was around the time they announced the release of Steam Edition and the end of production of disc versions that the prices started to go up by a lot. Disc versions all of a sudden became limited editions. For ages before that time you could pick up a copy of Gold Edition for $15-25. I bought an extra one cheap years ago around the time they released Flight, just in case, and to have a backup copy.

So that's why. People still want disc versions and they are becoming rarer, so people selling know this and hike the price up.

I always laugh when I see the Steam edition disc (covers) for sale in EB games or similar. There's no disc in there, just a code, yet they sell it like a boxed version.

Cheers,

n4gix
June 15th, 2016, 10:04
It's a very simple matter of supply and demand. The supply is dwindling fast since MS quit pressing disks several years ago. There never will be any more produced.

On the other hand, demand is likewise shrinking, so eventually when the last few are still unsold, who knows what might happen! :pop4: