PDA

View Full Version : building a new rig?

SPIFFY
February 4th, 2009, 17:04
I want to start out saying that I have been out of computers and computer flying for a few years and not up to date with the newer stuff. I have built about 5 computers and have worked at a computer sales store for anout 2 years back in the day. I am new to the forum and have looked at a few computer builds trying to put togeather a list of parts for my new rig.

mobd: asus rampage formula lga 775 intel x48 atx.

cpu: intel core 2 duo e8600 wolfdale 3.33 GHz lga 775 65w dual-core

gpu: diamond 4870pe51g radeon hd 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

memory: Ocz reaper hpc 4GB 1066mhz (pc2 8500 dual channel

HD: fujitsu MBA3147NP 147GB 15000rpm SCSI ultra320 68pin

case: cooler master cosmos 1000 rc-1000-ksn1-gp

PS: cool master Ucp rs700-aaaaa3 700w atx12v

any help and info about these parts are welcome.
thanks,
spiffy

harleyman
February 5th, 2009, 03:36
Hi Spiffy and :welcome:

Your build so far looks very good...I have a few questions....

You choose the socket 775.... Any reason for that over the newer i7 core CPU's ?

What monitor and resolution do you intend to use?

Can you post a link to your case and PSU so we can see it....???

I also tghink that your HDD choise is a nice one, but will fill up very quick ... Whats the price on that HDD? You may consider the V-Raptor 300G if prices are compatiable...

Looking good so far...

Why not a Quad over duel?

What OS are you going with too?

hews500d
February 5th, 2009, 04:25
Hi Spiffy, you might think about an Nvidia card as opposed to Ati. I went Nvidia with my new build, mainly based on reading topics from NickN at some of the other forums about fsx weather absolutely killing the Ati cards in performance. My older system (P4 2.53 Ghz single core) is probably not a good comparison, but I had an Ati card in it and anything other than running "simple clouds" DID kill the perf. so I thought why chance it with the new one.

Darrell

Kiwikat
February 5th, 2009, 04:31
mobd: asus rampage formula lga 775 intel x48 atx.

I'll back your choice of the rampage formula. Yesterday I built my machine with it and the Q9550, 8 GB G Skill ram, 3 hard drives, and a GTX280. Everything's smooth as silk so far. I am really surprised I haven't run into any issues. Even Vista is behaving now ;)

I've heard the Q9550 does every bit as well as the E8600 in games and even better in applications, so I would go quad. I'll experiment with FSX after classes today and report back :D

harleyman
February 5th, 2009, 05:10
The quad and the E8600 are both excellent choices for FSX...IMO

I have run both the Q9550 and Q6600 and now have the E8600 and really saw no difference ....... Other than price....

The biggest thing with the non extreme quads IMO is that an affanity of 15 can be set that seems to be a great workaround for any stutters you may experience......

I also run the 4870X2 ATI ans never saw any hit from clouds..But I had some rig problems and to be fair never got FSX running well enough to say that for sure.......

SPIFFY
February 5th, 2009, 05:46
Hi Spiffy and :welcome:

Your build so far looks very good...I have a few questions....

You choose the socket 775.... Any reason for that over the newer i7 core CPU's ?

What monitor and resolution do you intend to use?

Can you post a link to your case and PSU so we can see it....???

I also tghink that your HDD choise is a nice one, but will fill up very quick ... Whats the price on that HDD? You may consider the V-Raptor 300G if prices are compatiable...

Looking good so far...

Why not a Quad over duel?

What OS are you going with too?

hey, thanks for all the replys!

i guess i saw a few computer builds using the x48 motherboards so that is why i kinda went down that road of the 775 socket. i am origonaly a AMD guy but it seems AMD is no longer the thing for FSX so this is a big change for me and i might be a little lost on the i7 vs 775 socket.

i currently use a 19" sony lcd with 1920 x 1200 res, but i will be going to multi screens in the futur so its a requirement that this new rig to be able to handel 3 24" screens max, but that is in the future and as long as i can upgrade to 3 screens later on is cool too.

the case link is : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

the HD i thought was a plus because of the 15,000 RPM's, but dose that really help on preformance? why the V-Raptor 300G?

this machine is going to be used primaraly on FSX, so i'm not sure if the quad core is nessasary or not? i guess you might need to tell me if it is!

and i think that i will stick with windows XP pro for a while but would like to upgrade to Vista in the near future.

Thanks,

spiffy

harleyman
February 5th, 2009, 09:16
Hi Spiffy.....

I am with you on the 775 socket..Was just asking to see your thinking there....I like the X48 board.I have the X48 Gigabyte board myself...

My thinking on the V-Raptor is that its a fast drive,one of the fastest,and is large enough for the OS and plenty left for FSX....

I would however suggest a smaller second drive,like an inexpensive 250 Gig or so just for extras and storage..many of yopur apps can be installed there saving the disk space for FSX only with OS...

A lot of use use this case..Its a great cooling case,with plenty of room inside..Plus the HDD caddy is at the top rear in the form of a quick disconect deal thats real nice..That keeps the HDDs cooler and the front drive bay open for better air flow into the case further keeping it cooler...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

Its also 20 bucks cheaper, will have a PSU combo deal included,along with a rebate for both usually....

I also suggest the Freezer Pro7 cooler for the CPU...Its 25 bucks and great....

You are heading into the right build for FSX.....

I like my E8600...Its all FSX needs...if you go quad you have to consider that FSX likes to be in the range of 3.2 - 3.6 Mh so a quad means an OC is very helpful..Not needed with the E8600 IMO @ 3.33

SPIFFY
February 5th, 2009, 09:42
Hi Spiffy.....

I am with you on the 775 socket..Was just asking to see your thinking there....I like the X48 board.I have the X48 Gigabyte board myself...

My thinking on the V-Raptor is that its a fast drive,one of the fastest,and is large enough for the OS and plenty left for FSX....

I would however suggest a smaller second drive,like an inexpensive 250 Gig or so just for extras and storage..many of yopur apps can be installed there saving the disk space for FSX only with OS...

A lot of use use this case..Its a great cooling case,with plenty of room inside..Plus the HDD caddy is at the top rear in the form of a quick disconect deal thats real nice..That keeps the HDDs cooler and the front drive bay open for better air flow into the case further keeping it cooler...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

Its also 20 bucks cheaper, will have a PSU combo deal included,along with a rebate for both usually....

I also suggest the Freezer Pro7 cooler for the CPU...Its 25 bucks and great....

You are heading into the right build for FSX.....

I like my E8600...Its all FSX needs...if you go quad you have to consider that FSX likes to be in the range of 3.2 - 3.6 Mh so a quad means an OC is very helpful..Not needed with the E8600 IMO @ 3.33

thanks, harleyman

i cant seem to find the freezer pro7 cooler, do u have a link to it? and whats your opion on water cooling? dose the quad core improve FSX performance at all?

thanks,

spiffy

SPIFFY
February 5th, 2009, 09:46
oh and what Power supply do you recomend?

harleyman
February 5th, 2009, 09:55
Here is the Cooler link....I got mine on a special for 25 bucks...By the time you actually order it may again be on sale...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Also...Follow the link for the Case..On the left down low they show the Thermaltake 850W with a combo deal..Select it and tell it to include with the case purchase,so when you select the case the CPU comes with it...Its a modular PSU so the cable management is excellent .... Its also big enough for SLI or Crossfire later.....

But you're talking 3 mionitors later I think...For that you need at least a 1000W PSU....

Forgot...You only want water on the CPU if you want to push extreme OC's....Not needed IMO

The Quad will come into play if you have a lot of high end add ons like planes,sceneries,Track Ir...Like that as the quad will speed load times some and offer more CPU power just for FSX....At least will allow more cores to run it more smoothly....(with lots extras)

I have a PSU configuitor in one of my FSX Tips or Tweaks thresds here at the top of this section too..Let me know if you can't find it....

Here http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

harleyman
February 5th, 2009, 10:02
My build with Gigabyte X48......And Thermaltake case and PSU...

SPIFFY
February 6th, 2009, 09:34
harleyman thanks for all the help again

what is the Pro's and Con's of OCZ Ram Vs Corsair Ram?

i was just curious if you could take a look at my current system spec's and tell me what i could do to inprove FSX's performance for now until new processors come out to build my new rig.

Motherboard: Asus A8N-sli Deluxe
Memory : 3GB (pc3200) Corsair DDR RAM
HD: Maxtor: 100GB 7200 RPM 8 MB there my be something wrong with it I'm not for sure but it makes a BuZZZZZZ sound every minute or so.
GPU: GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB PCI-E x16
CPU: Amd FX-55 2.61 Ghz
Case: Dragon Full ATX tower

harleyman
February 6th, 2009, 12:30
The only real pros and cons I've ever seen with OCZ vs Corsair is that many times Corsair and some EVGA / Nvidia Motherboards have some issues.... Replacing it with OCZ was the fix....Go figure

What new Processors were you refering to? The latest are out now...X58 and i7 core but

An 8 series vid card with 512 mem would help

Faster / more ram would help

I can find no info on your current CPU..Is it a 939 socket? Single Core?

All I can find is 64 FX-55 for like big bucks...

SPIFFY
February 6th, 2009, 12:53
The only real pros and cons I've ever seen with OCZ vs Corsair is that many times Corsair and some EVGA / Nvidia Motherboards have some issues.... Replacing it with OCZ was the fix....Go figure

What new Processors were you refering to? The latest are out now...X58 and i7 core but

An 8 series vid card with 512 mem would help

Faster / more ram would help

I can find no info on your current CPU..Is it a 939 socket? Single Core?

All I can find is 64 FX-55 for like big bucks...

i have seen a few rigs with OCZ witch i thought was the cheep brand> but i have seen more rig's with OCZ then Corsair. and i thought that it was because of their timing ( 5-5-5-3-5 ) for refrence.

TXnetcop and i have been trading e-mails and said something like wait until April when more processors with be coming out?

its a single core 64 fx-55 939 socket and i got it as an OEM for $175 so i dont know if there were two versions of that processor or not!

SPIFFY
February 6th, 2009, 12:55
What would happen if i put in higher (pc) and mhz ram on my motherboard? I think its maxed out already but would it still work with high pc rangg?

Wiens
February 6th, 2009, 12:57
i have seen a few rigs with OCZ witch i thought was the cheep brand> but i have seen more rig's with OCZ then Corsair. and i thought that it was because of their timing ( 5-5-5-3-5 ) for refrence.

TXnetcop and i have been trading e-mails and said something like wait until April when more processors with be coming out?

Did Ted say April of which year????? April 2010 or 2020.........lol :engel016:

I have used OCZ and really like their memory, no problems OC'ing it.

Kevin

harleyman
February 6th, 2009, 12:58
Thats what I thought on the CPU ..

Thats most of your problem right there......

Oh...That new stuff...... It should be nice ..And expensive too...LOL

Well if you wanna wait for that its cool by me....

Time will tell...But Cor 2 duoe and quads are going strong too ....Along with the new i7 's out...

Its all good.....Tell Ted I said to behave himself......Damn Texan....:faint: LOL

txnetcop
February 7th, 2009, 01:33
Man the abuse you get from your own friends...sheesh...off to work.

You're getting some decent advice here from these clowns Spiffy. You can afford to hold off a bit. That FX core is pretty cool with FSX but you won't see a giant leap in frame rates but it is smoother. Just make sure you have adequate memory
Ted

Hey Kevin according our dealer sheets another core i7960 is about to be released in the US and Europe, not sure if the the QX975 is gonna make it. Besides if you spend money on your unit before you spend it on your wife's I reckon I'll be invited to a funeral
Ted
:focus:

harleyman
February 7th, 2009, 05:22
LOL txnetcop...Sorry..Just had to throw that out.....:woot:

Hope all is well with you..........

Yes...We are the clowns ....:friday:

Kiwikat
February 7th, 2009, 08:08
Spiffy, for your reference, I'm getting 60 FPS solid with fsx with my parts (as seen in my previous post). So if you're considering anything near those, you should be more than fine. I'd say go with quad (Q9550) over the dual too. :typing:

Wiens
February 7th, 2009, 09:54
Ted, you nailed me!! I've been waiting for the new i7 chips to arrive to "update" my computer so I can build one for my wife. Which video card brand do you recommend now? I am stuggling with my ATI card in CFS3/OFF BHAH.

Spiffy; TXNETCOP and Harleyman know their computer stuff....their advice is golden. Waiting six months will always get you more performance for less money, however, you have the opportunity cost of missing out on the enjoyment. Are you planning on playing OFF BHAH? If so, you may want to rethink the ATI card as it has some performace issues with CFS3/OFF. NVIDIA appears to be fine. Just my observations.

Kevin

txnetcop
February 7th, 2009, 10:30
Ted, you nailed me!! I've been waiting for the new i7 chips to arrive to "update" my computer so I can build one for my wife. Which video card brand do you recommend now? I am stuggling with my ATI card in CFS3/OFF BHAH.

Spiffy; TXNETCOP and Harleyman know their computer stuff....their advice is golden. Waiting six months will always get you more performance for less money, however, you have the opportunity cost of missing out on the enjoyment. Are you planning on playing OFF BHAH? If so, you may want to rethink the ATI card as it has some performace issues with CFS3/OFF. NVIDIA appears to be fine. Just my observations.

Kevin

Not having any problems with OFF with ATI HIS HD4870OC or X-Plane which many reported having problems with since I got the 9.1 drivers (had to do it three times to get it to kick in though-touchy), but I just tested this one for TechCorp and it really rocks, with just a slight overclock it bested the XFX9800GTX and the EVGA GTX280

Budget concious video cards with a punch!
This is the best card I have tested under $300 for Nvidia and you can step to the 295 when ready:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

I also like this one for Nvidia for the $150.00 bunch very powerful and easy to OC for first person shooters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

My favorite two cards still remain the ATI HD4850 ICE-Q4 TurboX $207.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161246

and the ATI HD 4870 HIS 1 GB - $234.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161247
with the new catalyst 9.1 drivers. There are now 7 testers at TechCorp so the stalemate on best of everything is finally broken and ATI still comes out on top with best quality picture-4 to 3 lol
Ted

Wiens
February 7th, 2009, 10:53
Ted,

So the ATI 9.1 drivers are a go for the ASUS HD3870X2 video card?

Kevin

harleyman
February 7th, 2009, 13:46
Thanks for the info Ted...

Howdy Kevin....:wavey:

As far as the 9.1 ant 3870X2 I can't answer that Kevin...sorry...:whistle:

txnetcop
February 8th, 2009, 06:57
Kevin OFF and X-Plane 9.30 runs on the Vistiontek ATI HD3870, HD4850 and HD4870 with 9.1 Catalyst so I can't imagine why it would not run on the 3870x2, but that is no guarantee.Somebody made the extreme suggestion to switch to Nvidia video cards to play OFF which I had to laugh at. Nvidia has its own problems with various games including FSX (ask Roger and others) so that is hardly a fix. ATI does a little work for OFF but 9.1 Drivers did work for the HD4850 and 4870, I don't remember which one required the use ATI TRAY TOOLS LOD settings changes, but I found settings that worked. The desperate always find a way to make things work with what they have...lol
Ted