PDA

View Full Version : The most beautifully designed USN jet, in my opinion....

Navy Chief
May 23rd, 2016, 05:23
Everyone has their own opinion of course, but my vote is the RA-5C Vigilante. Sleek and powerful! Next to the Viggie in this picture is of course the A-7, commonly referred to as the ugliest USN aircraft at that time. I do, however, have a fondness for the old SLUF!

The Viggie, for all its faults, really was a great looking aircraft. Had the privlege of working on RA-5Cs for only a brief time at NATC, but they were impressive! NC :encouragement:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38153&stc=1

b52bob
May 23rd, 2016, 05:56
Agree, one beautiful aircraft.

phrog_phixer
May 23rd, 2016, 08:28
Sorry Chief, I beg to differ...even prettier when delivering your mail (and ice cream...)

phrog_phixer
May 23rd, 2016, 08:31
Sorry Chief, I beg to differ...even prettier when delivering your mail (and ice cream...)

I know you said "jet"...but she had a gas turbine (jet engine) powerplant...lol

Navy Chief
May 23rd, 2016, 10:12

I especially like those helos when I was riding in them, watching the carrier fade off into the distance! NC

burcham8
May 23rd, 2016, 17:10
Love the Viggie myself. However, when I was a student pilot, flying out of Bolton Field,, Columbus, OH, I used to have to be put into the pattern with them at KCMH. Pretty intimidating, I'll confess!

Marc

burcham8
May 23rd, 2016, 17:17
Also, love the FJ-4 (F-1E, post '62). That tall skinny tail is so cool.

Marc

papab
May 24th, 2016, 05:01
Everyone has their own opinion of course, but my vote is the RA-5C Vigilante. Sleek and powerful! Next to the Viggie in this picture is of course the A-7, commonly referred to as the ugliest USN aircraft at that time. I do, however, have a fondness for the old SLUF!

The Viggie, for all its faults, really was a great looking aircraft. Had the privlege of working on RA-5Cs for only a brief time at NATC, but they were impressive! NC :encouragement:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38153&stc=1

Navy Chief,
That Vigilante you are showing is my Squadron- HEAVY-9!
The Hoot Owls....
I was a Jet Mechanic from 1971-1974
After every trap,I would have to climb into those long intakes and crawl down to the front of the engine looking for FOD damage.....

Saratoga, Forrestal and Independence-All Med cruises

I can smell the exhaust........
Thanks for the posting and yes she was a beautiful aircraft!
Rick