PDA

View Full Version : Let's experiment: DMFS BAC 1-11 FSX native

Bjoern
May 14th, 2016, 06:07
http://i.imgur.com/9CCocAF.png

Yep, that's self-shadowing.

It's a bit of a tricky conversion as I, at one point, have to edit the model in text file form between exporting from ModelConverter and compiling with XToMDL to add nav and strobe lights to the (flexing) wingtips.

There's still some oddities to investigate and I'm trying to perfect the conversion procedure before I take a stab at the other model variations, but other than that, I seem to be on the right track.
Henk's expanded animation library which he posted at FSDev made things a bit easier here and there, so here's a "Cheers!" to him.

I've informed Dave Maltby about this little endeavor via e-mail and he allowed the public release of the converted models once they're done. He also gave his blessing to the panel modifications to improve FSX compatibility (https://sites.google.com/site/fsxstuffbybk/aircraft-modifications/bac-1-11) which I've done prior to this.

Looks like the 1-11 just might live on in DX10 and P3D. :santahat:

expat
May 14th, 2016, 06:26
Could you convert his VC 10?!

JensOle
May 14th, 2016, 06:45
Great to see another model being saved and brought into the current sims!

Keep up the great work!

Bjoern
May 14th, 2016, 07:56
Could you convert his VC 10?!

I knew people would ask. Could yes, want no. I have no interest in anything but the 1-11.
However, in my return e-mail, I've asked Dave on behalf of the community if all of his other models are fair game for conversions as well, but he hasn't replied yet. Should Dave grant permission, however, I'm certain that someone else will take a jab at his other models.

expat
May 15th, 2016, 00:20
Ok thanks. I left a PM with the same request over at the CBFM site but don't think he has seen it.

ce_zeta
May 15th, 2016, 01:36
Very very interesting.

Thank you very much Bro! :biggrin-new:

Tom Burnside
May 15th, 2016, 02:03
Cant wait for this.

CavalierDuck
May 15th, 2016, 04:05
I'll be watching this one with keen interest! An old favourite that I haven't flown as much in FSX as I did in FS9 because of the portover issues, helped greatly by your earlier panel mods. Thanks for your efforts, I look forward to seeing what you can do. :encouragement:

Jafo
May 15th, 2016, 04:13
Long ago in a galaxy far far away I got out me paints.....[2012].

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37924&stc=1

'VK3-DEK' was my old man's Ham licence...;)

Bjoern
May 15th, 2016, 09:55
Here's what I have so far. It's the non-hushkitted 400 series model. I'm not really content with the VC as the gauge polys are giving me one hell of a headache and any added clickspots refuse to work. That's not a biggie though, since DM accounted for that by adding gauge-based ones back when he made the model. To get a better, permanent fix for the panels, however, I fear that I have to go for a more thorough conversion with 3ds Max.

The exterior seems to look as it's supposed to, at least I can't spot any glaring errors.

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMbU56RzhJcVBCMkk/view?usp=sharing

I can at least add the exterior models one by one as I go along with the VC.
If anyone wants to create spec and bump maps for the exterior, give me as shout and I'll add support for them.

Cirrus N210MS
May 15th, 2016, 10:50
so many planes to convert so little time :jump: too much work no time to have fun here

Stefano Zibell
May 15th, 2016, 12:56
Nice project. Again, I thank you.

Now that it's going native, it should be one of the best choices in freeware jetliners. Nicely documented, too.

bob407
May 15th, 2016, 13:53
Here's what I have so far....

A fine aircraft model with now excellent fps and super smooth operation thanks to your conversion. One bug to report - nose wheel will steer left but not right. One request if I may - that is to enable reflectivity. Again, thank you Bojoern for all your effort in this project. Great to see new life being infused into this old bird.

Naismith
May 15th, 2016, 23:05
This is very welcomed, the DM 1-11 is the single a/c I keep returning to ..... that and the Trident. :untroubled:

Dave Torkington
May 16th, 2016, 03:21
Very nice work Bjoern thank you!

http://s5.postimg.org/pvh92rhb7/BAC_1_11_FSX_Court_Line.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/pvh92rhb7/)

Bjoern
May 16th, 2016, 07:02
One bug to report - nose wheel will steer left but not right.

Will look into that.

One request if I may - that is to enable reflectivity.

Is the FS9 model reflective?

Bjoern
May 16th, 2016, 08:25
Nose wheel sttering is fixed, but I somehow lost the landing light effects on the wings. Do these work for you guys?

thunder100
May 16th, 2016, 08:42
Long ago in a galaxy far far away I got out me paints.....[2012].

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37924&stc=1

'VK3-DEK' was my old man's Ham licence...;)

Where to get ?

Thanks

Roland

Roger
May 16th, 2016, 12:29
Bjoern, thanks for your work:ernaehrung004:BTW, I too have lost the landing lights.

Bjoern
May 16th, 2016, 12:35
Well darn. No matter what I did, I just can't get them to show up in FSX. MCX shows them as valid effects.

*Sigh*

This was supposed to be a three-day project.

Bjoern
May 16th, 2016, 14:27
I'm completely stumped. Those bloody-arse landing lights just refuse to show up, no matter what I do. Might as well throw in the towel then because what good is a plane without lights.

[Curses]

CG_1976
May 16th, 2016, 14:57
I'm completely stumped. Those bloody-arse landing lights just refuse to show up, no matter what I do. Might as well throw in the towel then because what good is a plane without lights.

[Curses]

A Perfect Aircraft for Smuggling Ag Supplies lolol.

Roger
May 16th, 2016, 15:53
Throwing in of towels merely leads to towel entropy:engel016:

VC shadows too in Dx10...

http://i.imgbox.com/iozuLNWv.jpg (http://imgbox.com/iozuLNWv)

Ian Warren
May 16th, 2016, 16:23
Throwing in the Towel don't work ... hang them on the clothes line ... :encouragement:

thunder100
May 16th, 2016, 23:42

[Curses]

Apart the towel thing

can you not get the landing lights shown by a lights entry in aircraft.cfg?
If it resits that as well you can try in the smokes entry ( as also that are effects )

my 2 cents

Roland

Daube
May 17th, 2016, 01:19
Ooooh I forgot how nice-looking the VC of that plane was !
Thanks for your efforts Bjoern. Concerning the VC lights, if I'm not mistaken, you can only attach the "light illuminate ground" effet to the 3D model, but not the spotlight effect (like nav lights)...
Anyways, are the landing lights attached to any moving parts on that plane ? If not, you can probably simply add them to the CFG of the plane...

DaveB
May 17th, 2016, 03:35
The turnoff lights are built into the fuse.. the landing and taxi lights are typical Vickers/BAC and motor down out of the wings and nose.

ATB
DaveB:)

Jafo
May 17th, 2016, 04:43
It's a British plane....ergo the electrics are probably Lucas.....
....and everyone knows that 'Lucas' is 'the prince of darkness'.

The lights therefore never worked on the real plane either.

Brilliant attention to detail...;)

expat
May 17th, 2016, 05:30
Yep, know and love Lucas products well. Lucas three way switch settings: dim, flicker and off.

Bjoern
May 17th, 2016, 05:49
Well, seems like landing light effects really don't like being attached to geometry. They work fine when they are at the model root. Drawback: No movement with the flexing wings. I'm really baffled by that because the default DC-3 definitely flexes and has working attach point lights.

MCX' model importer also doesn't like some geometry, which is the reason why the nose light casing and the pedestal is off. Therefor, I have to compile the models directly from the .x file which means that I can't effectively use MCX after having added the fixed geometry and light effects and consequently, I had to learn how to convert visibility code from ASCII to ASCII decimal and then add it to the objects requiring visbilities. :dizzy:
Upside: I can at least persistently store visibility data in the .x file now instead of repeatedly having to add it each and every time in MCX' UI.

One thing that still refuses to work is adding mouse rectangles tocockpit elements. And I have no friggin' idea why.

Prepare for a new release. As far as I can see, the VC model now looks exactly like the one in the FS9 model and you'll get landing lights and reflections.

Naismith
May 17th, 2016, 11:45
Yep, know and love Lucas products well. Lucas three way switch settings: dim, flicker and off.

I miss the Brit sense of humor. :biggrin-new:

ncooper
May 17th, 2016, 12:27
This (http://mez.co.uk/lucas.html) should make you smile then.:D

Bjoern
May 17th, 2016, 16:49
As the german saying goes: "Grindingly, the squirrel nourishes itself."*

Current status:
- 200 series done
- 400 series done

There's a bunch of files included that might satsify any possible curiosity about the conversion process.
Masochists trying the conversion themselves should go straight for a conversion of the -200HK and -200 cockpit model as it requires replacing parts straight in the .x file. Better than being whipped!

The old link is not valid anymore, grab this and any future updates from this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMNTJ0bkNoR0s4MDQ/view?usp=sharing

I've started with the 475 as it's a good bridge between the short bodies and the 500 series. And then there's that bloody stupid BEA extrawurst...

*"Squirrrrrrrrrrrrrl". Can't fool this Jerry!

morpheusfz
May 17th, 2016, 17:24
Hi Bjoern,

Bei der -200 hat sich ein kleiner Fehler eingeschlichen, INT und EXT model sind die selben. Man sieht vom Flugzeug Extern nur Tragflächen und Cockpit.

Grüße

Jafo
May 17th, 2016, 18:10
Bjoern .... I have a vague feeling [high school German from 50 years ago] that morpheusfz found the same thing...
The straight 200 series model has an int and ext files the same size...and it looks like both are int. Externally you only see the the VC area and the wings...;)

Bjoern
May 17th, 2016, 23:26
I hate these stupid tools that don't keep the name of the output file in line with the input file.

Fixed models are uploaded.

Bjoern
May 18th, 2016, 13:28
The 475 series models are done. Download link is the same as in post #33.

Naismith
May 18th, 2016, 14:54
Bjoern, I have an issue with the 1-11 200's under your settings, the a/c display as wireframe. I only retained the Allegheny and DRA textures from the original so I do not know if this is an issue with any other original texture. This does NOT happen with any other of your conversions including the 200HK. It may be something I have done of course. I run in DX10 and have converted all textures from BMP to DDS.
Any ideas?

Edit - I should add that if I revert to the original DM Model files, then the displayed model returns to normal.

Bjoern
May 18th, 2016, 17:53
The big non-BEA sticks are ready.

Link, as usual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMNTJ0bkNoR0s4MDQ/view?usp=sharing

Bjoern
May 18th, 2016, 17:57
Bjoern, I have an issue with the 1-11 200's under your settings, the a/c display as wireframe. I only retained the Allegheny and DRA textures from the original so I do not know if this is an issue with any other original texture. This does NOT happen with any other of your conversions including the 200HK. It may be something I have done of course. I run in DX10 and have converted all textures from BMP to DDS.
Any ideas?

Edit - I should add that if I revert to the original DM Model files, then the displayed model returns to normal.

The only instance of displaying wireframes in FSX that I know of is by editing shader files see here:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/dx-10-tweaks-wireframe-cool-stuff-from-paul-roussin.432720/

Since you're using DX10, you're most certainly also using Steve's DX10 Toolkit. So I'm assuming that you ran into a shader hiccup.

Other than that, I have no idea.

bob407
May 18th, 2016, 21:01
[QUOTE=Bjoern;
Is the FS9 model reflective?[/QUOTE]

I am very new to Model Converter X. For my own personal use, I wanted to try and set up the 1-11 with FSX reflection. I've gotten it to show up in the sim but I've not yet learned how to export the model properly and therefore I'm having issues with the model not displaying in the locked spot view and problem with very low frame rates. As I said I'm very new to MCX. Am I trying to do something here that is not even possible to work properly? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

dc10boy
May 19th, 2016, 02:10
Bjoern this is great work!I tried the old panel cfg switch to convert fuel quantity and fuel flow to read in LBS and it didn't work although the gauges show up in your new gauge folder. any workarounds that you know of?

Inductotherm
May 19th, 2016, 05:31
I do not post on the forums but follow them closely. I have to say this is awesome. I have more hours in the 1-11 than any other aircraft on FSX. I cant wait to see how far this goes! Thank you all for your hard work!

Bjoern
May 19th, 2016, 09:27
If someone contributes some exit locations for the models, I'd in turn try to make the main exit stairs conditionally visible so that you can use jetway parking positions.

I am very new to Model Converter X. For my own personal use, I wanted to try and set up the 1-11 with FSX reflection. I've gotten it to show up in the sim but I've not yet learned how to export the model properly and therefore I'm having issues with the model not displaying in the locked spot view and problem with very low frame rates. As I said I'm very new to MCX. Am I trying to do something here that is not even possible to work properly? What are your thoughts? Thanks.

I have enabled alpha-channel based reflections (belnd diffuse by diffuse alpha) on all models, so you should not need to do any edits yourself.

And you need to edit the model radius with RADItor after exporting it from MCX as it will calculate and set it at over 6 kilometers (which does inevitably screw with FSX and produce the very low framerate you're observing). For testing purposes, you can leave the bounding box values alone and set the model radius to 15 m or so.

I tried the old panel cfg switch to convert fuel quantity and fuel flow to read in LBS and it didn't work although the gauges show up in your new gauge folder. any workarounds that you know of?

I don't support DM's original panel confics. Use my updated versions.

But since I have to publish an update anyway (to incorporate the new ground lights), I might just offer permanent english and metric panels that can be set per repaint.

I do not post on the forums but follow them closely. I have to say this is awesome. I have more hours in the 1-11 than any other aircraft on FSX. I cant wait to see how far this goes! Thank you all for your hard work!

Well, I've started updating the 510ED's panel to incorporate the updates I did for the regular models. Once this is done, I'll do the models themselves. After the models are published, I'll wrap up the panel mods.
Maybe throw in an experiment to add actual glass to the VCs at one point and the conditional airstairs (see above).

Bjoern
May 19th, 2016, 14:57
Bjoern this is great work!I tried the old panel cfg switch to convert fuel quantity and fuel flow to read in LBS and it didn't work although the gauges show up in your new gauge folder. any workarounds that you know of?

Seems as if the imperial panel.cfg still uses metric fuel gauges.

Find all instances of "_KG_" and "_KGH_" in the panel.cfg and replace them with "_LB_" and "_PPH_" respectively. There should be six and four occurrences.

Edit: Don't bother, the imperial fuel gauges are fundamentally broken. Will be fixed for the next upload.

The next revision of the panel will definitely be switchable per repaint (panel= for imperial and panel=metric for metric gauges).

bob407
May 19th, 2016, 15:43
I have enabled alpha-channel based reflections (belnd diffuse by diffuse alpha) on all models, so you should not need to do any edits yourself.

And you need to edit the model radius with RADItor after exporting it from MCX as it will calculate and set it at over 6 kilometers (which does inevitably screw with FSX and produce the very low framerate you're observing). For testing purposes, you can leave the bounding box values alone and set the model radius to 15 m or so.

Thank you Bjoern for this very helpful info. After exporting, I set the model radius to 15 m as you suggested and got much better results. I got the locked spot camera back and frame rates back to normal. Reflection is working very nicely ( just need to tweak it down some). The only problem I've noticed after my editing the model reflection is that I somehow caused the left side flap texture to not display, as seen in the first two photos below. In the third photo the only thing I had done was switch back to your model and the left flap was back. Also in the third photo I had simply tried editing (not with MCX) the alpha channel of the 111FUSE_1.bmp to get reflection but it appears to be affecting the specular instead. Again thank you for all your work and valuable info and I am very happy to finally get this far with MCX. :encouragement:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38053&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38052&stc=1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38051&stc=1

Bjoern
May 19th, 2016, 18:00
That's good to hear, Bob.

Hold your horses though, as I took a look into the FSX SDK documentation and found out that I enabled the wrong type of reflection on each and every model. :dizzy:
I'll upload the fixed models together with the 510ED, which I am converting.

Meanwhile, the panels were updated and fixed and their directory structure was set up as efficiently as feasible. The aircraft.cfgs of the 475 and 510s were also brought up to spec.
And since none of you lazybutts provided me with exit codes, I had to do the work myself, which cost me a bit of time. :apathy:

Bjoern
May 23rd, 2016, 16:06
I've finished the 510ED and merged the models with the panel update. The models are therefor not separately available anymore.

New thread:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?100577-DMFS-BAC-1-11-FSX-Upgrade&p=1024477