View Full Version : Virtual LSO for FSX/P3D

gray eagle
May 9th, 2016, 14:57
Anyone tried this out?

http://vlso.blogspot.com/2014/09/fsx-meridian-fclp-add-on-now-vlso_10.html

rsgunner
May 9th, 2016, 15:47
It is a great piece of work.

You can use it for carrier traps and FCLP.

Here is more information.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

Russ

gray eagle
May 9th, 2016, 15:59
Got it installed and tried a carrier trap but did not hear anyone.

It is a great piece of work.

You can use it for carrier traps and FCLP.

Here is more information.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

Russ

Navy Chief
May 9th, 2016, 18:21
GE,

Check the FSDreamteam forum for possible answers, and also on Flightsim.com forums:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288666-Vlso-Help

awstub
May 9th, 2016, 20:24
Got it installed and tried a carrier trap but did not hear anyone.

After you install it you still have to add a custom aircraft definition for each aircraft you want to use it with.

Navy Chief
May 10th, 2016, 04:34
After you install it you still have to add a custom aircraft definition for each aircraft you want to use it with.

Unless the aircraft you are flying are already configured for it. There are several....i.e. Dino's Tomcat, VRS Superbug, Dino's S-3 I think.....there are others......

expat
May 11th, 2016, 02:34
Well I can trap a lot of bad ass jets - with crash detection on - but in the highly automated and easy to fly FSXBA Hornet did about 8 passes and got wave offs each time. My chart looks like I am habitually too low, off speed and off centre line!! A real confidence killer this one!!

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2016, 04:39
Well I can trap a lot of bad ass jets - with crash detection on - but in the highly automated and easy to fly FSXBA Hornet did about 8 passes and got wave offs each time. My chart looks like I am habitually too low, off speed and off centre line!! A real confidence killer this one!!

I think, out of all the carrier approaches I have done, that (using VLSO) I have only made one that the LSO did not call "Wave Off". Just like real life, I presume, there is no allowance for out of limits. The approach must be correct, or Wave Off is called. NC

expat
May 11th, 2016, 06:49
Thanks, that's got to be right NC. The challenge I guess is to be in the groove much earlier. And stay there. The kinda thing I do where I get myself all sorted out "just in time" as my poor eyes adjust to see the approaching deck in focus, just isn't acceptable.

Question for you fellow tail hookers, speaking of the vision thing, one thing I find that will make me splat on traps more often than not is when I have the screen "View" magnification set wrong (too far/small I think) so the deck then tricks you into thinking its not so close but then its "Oh Sh** now it is real close and am I out of shape for this one!" - usually too high or low. Been working much better for me to have the View set at 1.00 on final approach then can pull the veiwpoint back using shift/return/backspace keys to avoid a too constrained peripheral view. What do others do re screen view? (I have a Dell 24 inch so wide screen format.)

Navy Chief
May 11th, 2016, 11:57
Thanks, that's got to be right NC. The challenge I guess is to be in the groove much earlier. And stay there. The kinda thing I do where I get myself all sorted out "just in time" as my poor eyes adjust to see the approaching deck in focus, just isn't acceptable.

Question for you fellow tail hookers, speaking of the vision thing, one thing I find that will make me splat on traps more often than not is when I have the screen "View" magnification set wrong (too far/small I think) so the deck then tricks you into thinking its not so close but then its "Oh Sh** now it is real close and am I out of shape for this one!" - usually too high or low. Been working much better for me to have the View set at 1.00 on final approach then can pull the veiwpoint back using shift/return/backspace keys to avoid a too constrained peripheral view. What do others do re screen view? (I have a Dell 24 inch so wide screen format.)

I almost always catch a wire. Maybe not the 3 wire, but I do trap. And my approach apparently ain't the best, but I can trap!!! :encouragement: NC

heywooood
May 11th, 2016, 14:29
it forces the pilot to get into and maintain the right line from initial to the deck..very challenging and very rewarding after MUCH practice...
did I say practice?..

tgycgijoes
May 11th, 2016, 17:20
It is really a great program, but as said a real challenge to be "ON THE BALL". I used to fly with virtual CVW-3 and I have also used it solo personally. You can configure just about any carrier aircraft for it but it takes tweaking and a lot of practice. I did find that it does not work with every carrier. Practice on the carriers it is configured for before you try to put it on Hornet or Forrestal etc though they are setup with hard decks and arresting wires. You can also use the FCLP's to practice like the real pilots do too.

gray eagle
May 12th, 2016, 08:09
I tried a trap on the Big E using Dino's T45 and all went well.
I would like to use Milton's C-1A but not sure how/what to configure so
that is would work.

WarHorse47
May 12th, 2016, 08:27
Vertigo Studios has a virtual LSO with its Enterprise package.

A LSO has also been included that can be placed in your aircraft panel folder and activated as a popup.

The package is still available at PC Pilot (http://www.pcpilot.net/view_article.asp?ID=6178).

It's been awhile since I've performed landings on their Enterprise, so I cannot recall if its adaptable to other carriers. I know you can add the popup to any variety of a/c.

Bookman1960
May 12th, 2016, 09:30
I can't see a "purchase here" option on that page. Am I missing something?

Vertigo Studios has a virtual LSO with its Enterprise package.

The package is still available at PC Pilot (http://www.pcpilot.net/view_article.asp?ID=6178).

It's been awhile since I've performed landings on their Enterprise, so I cannot recall if its adaptable to other carriers. I know you can add the popup to any variety of a/c.

DaveB
May 12th, 2016, 09:52
That's an advert for it at PC Pilot magazines website. Vertigo's site is currently down.

ATB
DaveB:)

WarHorse47
May 12th, 2016, 09:53
I can't see a "purchase here" option on that page. Am I missing something?Oops. You're right. That's just a magazine.

The VS site is down for maintenance, and I can't find it anywhere else. Sorry about that.

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2016, 12:11
Hmm, but will the VLSO that is included with the Enterprise.....work as separate from that carrier in FSX?..With other carriers? NC

WarHorse47
May 12th, 2016, 13:59
.....work as separate from that carrier in FSX?..With other carriers? NCI indicated I could not recall. I believe it only functions with their Enterprise.

Navy Chief
May 12th, 2016, 15:26
I indicated I could not recall. I believe it only functions with their Enterprise.

Oops, sorry, missed that part of your post......:stupid: NC

WarHorse47
May 12th, 2016, 19:15
No prob, NC. Hard for me to remember what I had for breakfast.

I knew I had a screenshot somewhere showing the VS LSO on the deck and in the popup.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%20Shots/Random%20FSX%2002/2013-6-3_12-57-18-204_zps833b65cd.jpg

gray eagle
May 13th, 2016, 14:14
I opted for a Tanker and followed it and this is what I saw when I closed in. I never got to tank but as the tanker pulled away, it's tail unfolded to the full upright position :biggrin-new:

http://s32.postimg.org/xhtuj2c1h/TANKER.jpg

Victory103
May 15th, 2016, 12:58
Which S-3? Never seen that I have both Dino's and DSB/Iris model in as tankers, but use the Raz KA-6 the most.

gray eagle
May 15th, 2016, 15:57
Dino Cattaneo's VS-29_Dragonfires

Which S-3? Never seen that I have both Dino's and DSB/Iris model in as tankers, but use the Raz KA-6 the most.

Dino Cattaneo
May 16th, 2016, 01:00
Which reminds me I should find the time to complete and release the S-3 AI Tanker model...

gray eagle
May 16th, 2016, 12:38
would appreciate any info on how they set up the manual ball event or manual clara event. For now, all I get it wave off sound. I've watched utoobs on a demo landing approach and could hear
the call ball and they got a OK 3 (Perfect landing). Would like info on what to use to make the clara and call ball setup and working.

http://s32.postimg.org/yv0gyw8k5/vlso.jpg

rsgunner
May 17th, 2016, 10:41
I changed the "Ball" to "Key_Request_tow_plane". Something I didn't use in flying.

The command "toggle_water_rudder" is used by Dino's S-3 in the model to fold the vertical stabilizer so when you use it in vLSO it folds it.

Clara I used "toggle_water_ballast_valve"

Change your call sign and make sure speakers match the ones you have and your good to go.

Currently it doesn't work in P3D V3 so I am on the sidelines until a new version is released.

It is not to difficult to add new planes. Just look at the defaults and come as close as you can to one you want to add.

Russ

gray eagle
May 17th, 2016, 12:16
Appreciate the help, I copied and paste the commands you used. Now I guess that all this will set up the clara & ball event, so do you then toggle the clara and ball buttons for both?
If so, I didn't hear anything. About all I get is a waveoff or waveoff pattern. The clara and ball event is what I am most interested in getting set up so that when I use them, I will
get responses from LSO.

I changed the "Ball" to "Key_Request_tow_plane". Something I didn't use in flying.

The command "toggle_water_rudder" is used by Dino's S-3 in the model to fold the vertical stabilizer so when you use it in vLSO it folds it.

Clara I used "toggle_water_ballast_valve"

Change your call sign and make sure speakers match the ones you have and your good to go.

Currently it doesn't work in P3D V3 so I am on the sidelines until a new version is released.

It is not to difficult to add new planes. Just look at the defaults and come as close as you can to one you want to add.

Russ

rsgunner
May 17th, 2016, 13:30
Yes I did set up separate buttons for Ball and Clara.

I have about 10 carriers running off of Pensacola and use NASP as home base.

When I launch the sim program I am within range of at lease 3 carriers.

It is the FCLP that doesn't work in P3D V3. Carrier portion works fine.

I need to program my stick again.

Russ