PDA

View Full Version : 74 Years ago

TheBookie
May 8th, 2016, 21:10
This was the last day of the Battle of the Coral Sea.The USN lost the USS Lexington and the USS Yorktown was heavily damaged.The loss of Lexington was due to a spark setting off the aviation fuel still in the fuel lines.After this battle the USN filled the fuel lines with co2 during battles.

The IJN lost the Shoho and the Shokaku was damaged. Because of the damage to Shokaku and the loss of the IJN air groups neither Shokaku or Zuikaku could participate in the Midway operation.

Technically the IJN won the battle but they could not continue theri operations in the area and had to turn back for the first time during the war.

Yorktown was hastily repaired and fought at Midway where she was lost.

Seems this forum forgets the history of the Pacific War and the real originals of CFS2.

BTW " The Doolittle Raid " was April 18,1942. Seems you forgot that one also.

The Greatest Generation is getting smaller as the years go by.Let us not forget what they have done for all of us.

MaskRider
May 8th, 2016, 21:55
Here, here! Good points.

MR

kdriver
May 9th, 2016, 03:57
We certainly haven't forgotten the Battle of the Coral Sea in this country. Commemorative services are held around Australia every year on the 8th of May.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-08/battle-of-the-coral-sea-commemorated-in-hobart/7393930

bearcat241
May 9th, 2016, 04:29
...Seems this forum forgets the history of the Pacific War and the real originals of CFS2.

BTW " The Doolittle Raid " was April 18,1942. Seems you forgot that one also.

We don't forget...i'm constantly revisiting EVERYTHING on the military channels, my favorite cup, as far back as the American Revolution. Just don't feel the need to post the commemorations (it's a very long list).

kelticheart
May 10th, 2016, 06:26
We certainly haven't forgotten the Battle of the Coral Sea in this country. Commemorative services are held around Australia every year on the 8th of May.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-08/battle-of-the-coral-sea-commemorated-in-hobart/7393930

And certainly for good reasons, too!

Am I correct the IJN fleet was on its way in the attempt to invade Port Moresby and set foot on Australian mainland, when the Battle of the Coral Sea resulted in stopping them?

I agree with The Bookie: "Least we forget". :encouragement:

KH :wavey:

Rami
May 10th, 2016, 07:45
The Bookie,

I agree on not forgetting. Lady Lex gave her soul to prevent the Japanese from threatening Australia, and given that Yorktown survived that battle, I've really looked at that battle as a borderline draw, given that Shokaku was heavily damaged and that Zuikaku's aircrews were slaughtered.

Given the cracks that were already appearing in the IJN's ability to replace pilots, what happened next at Midway was nothing short of catastrophic for the Japanese.