PDA

View Full Version : Orbx FTX Global vs Orbx FTX England/Wales/Scotland

DaleRFU
May 8th, 2016, 10:33
Hi all,

what's the difference between the two? And is it worth it? I tend to fly military aircraft, do a fair bit of low level flying. So would like your opinions on the two variations and if it's worth getting England, Wales and Scotland?
or is it worth just sticking with global.

hairyspin
May 8th, 2016, 11:42
Global improves the textures, blending of textures one to another, improves night lighting etc so all your FSX scenery looks better.

BUT if you want more detailed scenery you need more detailed mesh and more carefully placed landclass, which you get with the FTX EU packages. I like to fly VFR in Scotland (often in military types), which in FSX is under-resolved – too smooth and bland – so I bought FTX Scotland to get the Western Isles, Southern Uplands and the Great Glen in much better detail. 10m mesh instead of the default 30-40m mesh, iirc. Lighthouse colours are all wrong, but that's a minor bugbear.

Your call...

Stickshaker
May 8th, 2016, 12:34
I agree with Hairyspin. In my view, the extra detail is well worth the money of areas that you frequently fly over. Whether the investment is worth it is of course entirely up to you, and I am very selective in which areas I buy.

WarHorse47
May 8th, 2016, 14:10
I have another related question.

I have several airbases in the United Kingdom by Team SDB. Are they compatible with Orbx FTX England/Wales/Scotland?

DaveB
May 8th, 2016, 14:28
Off the top of my head.. I'd say not. All the UK SDB products I have (bar one) are designed to work with the default scenery/mesh. This said.. they'd probably look better with FTX England than they do with GenX.. GenX being photo scenery.
ATB
DaveB:)

GypsyBaron
May 8th, 2016, 16:53
I have Global, Global Vector and EU, Ireland and Scotland (plus all the North America, Australia and New Zealand areas) and
fly in "Hybrid Mode". If you are flying over the detailed areas those areas will be 'used'. When you leave and area....fly across the
Channel to Europe, then Global will be used. It is all seamless and automatic.

Paul

ChipShop
May 9th, 2016, 01:38
Hi Dale,
I started off with global, it's ok BUT; if you are looking for a better representation of what the scenery should be like, then EU Eng/Wales/Scot is the one to go for!
It's what I use and wouldn't have any other scenery now!
As for compatible airfields UK2000 ARE compatible, again these are what I use and am very happy with!
I'd be inclined to stick to the Europe scenery as when using Hybrid mode, I did find a significant drop in frame rate!
Give it a go and see what you think!
Cheers mate,
ChipShop👍😉

DaleRFU
May 9th, 2016, 03:49
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I think I will go for it seen as they are all on offer :applause:

ChipShop
May 9th, 2016, 08:53
Dale,
A sound investment, if ever there was one!

As a follow up to my previous post, I also have Team SDB RAF Binbrook installed and a few ACG airfields all of which seem to work ok!

Good luck and enjoy!:encouragement:
ChipShop

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I think I will go for it seen as they are all on offer :applause:

kiki
May 9th, 2016, 10:31
I have Global, Global Vector and EU, Ireland and Scotland (plus all the North America, Australia and New Zealand areas) and
fly in "Hybrid Mode". If you are flying over the detailed areas those areas will be 'used'. When you leave and area....fly across the
Channel to Europe, then Global will be used. It is all seamless and automatic.

Paul

That is just what I do. I don't think I would be simming anymore without these add ons. They are worth the money!