PDA

View Full Version : FPS brain droppings

johannesl
May 4th, 2016, 10:12
I've seen a number of people in various forums saying how they get 30, 40, even 50+ FPS. The last time I went to a movie it was shown at 24 FPS and I didn't notice any stutter at all. (Yes I know they are using digital projectors now.) But having said that, the question is, is 50 FPS really more than twice as good as 24 FPS? Does the eye/brain really notice the difference? I suppose in some way it does, but...

Mach3DS
May 4th, 2016, 10:22
Supposedly not. But ive used FS with 24 FPS and at 60 FPS. 60 FPS is the smoothest thing ive ever experienced. Movements are so quick, so responsive and extremely fluid. It was very lifelike. My standard experience is not like that...where I get about 22-30 FPS.

ian elliot
May 4th, 2016, 10:35
Most of what you say if correct, i believe the human eye can register around 25-30 fps, although i may be mistaken, what sometimes cause's issues for me is different combinations of aircraft- scenery which may cause frame to fluctuated wildly, 20-80-20 ect, and that sometimes has an effect on the general smoothness of my sim, although its rarely a problem, i just notice it more.
Its also down to each simmers individual system and settings, recently i have my frame rates set at 24, due to me purchasing the new Simworks F-4, which is at its best for me at those setting's, although the Milvis model is quite happy with the slider to unlimited, its a personal preference thing.
cheers ian

ratty
May 4th, 2016, 10:45
The 24-30 range is used because it is around the slowest frame rate we perceive as "fluid". Back when they used film, it minimised the film used. Your actual "brain frame rate" seems to be about 60fps; anything faster is overkill.

http://nerdist.com/your-brain-has-a-frame-rate-and-its-pretty-slow/

Stefano Zibell
May 4th, 2016, 11:40
In movies/videos, your frames are "blurred" into each other, so you can perceive slower frame rates as fluid.

Computer rendered graphic's frames are perfect, non blurred images, every single one of them. So you need faster rates.

I'm no good at explaining these things, but I hope I gave the right idea.

jandmbear
May 4th, 2016, 13:09
When I first installed FSX acceleration, fresh without any addons, I could sometimes get over 60 fps and it is a pretty cool experience. It all seemed more fluid. But after a couple years and with the core addons that I choose to keep, I get a steady 30fps with all sliders maxed out, and that is perfectly okay with me as 30fps seems to be the standard, and it makes me happy:encouragement:

stansdds
May 5th, 2016, 01:53
I don't worry about fps and I don't fly with the fps monitor turned on. Smoothness is what is most important to me and 20 fps and smooth as glass looks a lot better than 60 fps with stutters and pauses.

falcon409
May 5th, 2016, 04:14
Here's an article that, although it was done 10 years ago, still holds true concerning FPS.

https://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/tips/Pages/What'sYourFrameRate-PartI.aspx

Basically 20fps is the minimum to work with and be seen as "smooth". . .20-25fps is average and anything above that is purely personal preference and not to be considered a benchmark for all systems.

falcon409
May 5th, 2016, 04:48
I don't worry about fps and I don't fly with the fps monitor turned on. Smoothness is what is most important to me and 20 fps and smooth as glass looks a lot better than 60 fps with stutters and pauses.
Very true. People need to do away with the FPS counter and just rely on what works for them visually. In FSX and recently P3D I average 35 to 40, but if I lock it to 20 I see no difference really.

Another aspect of FPS is certainly your Addon Scenery products, Autogen, water, AI and shadow settings, all of which can have an affect on the FPS.

johannesl
May 6th, 2016, 08:50
One other question. Are you getting high FPS one 1 monitor or spread over 2 or 3 or more monitors? I can get higher FPS on 1 monitor, but I like the wider view of 3 monitors. I know that seems kind of obvious, but we each have our own preferences.

falcon409
May 6th, 2016, 10:50
One other question. Are you getting high FPS one 1 monitor or spread over 2 or 3 or more monitors? I can get higher FPS on 1 monitor, but I like the wider view of 3 monitors. I know that seems kind of obvious, but we each have our own preferences.
I run 2 - 21" flat screen monitors, but I only use one for the Sim view. . .the other I use for pop-ups.