PDA

View Full Version : File saving problem

blohmundvoss
February 4th, 2009, 06:42
Does one of you Windows gurus out there understand why this is happening?

Recently I am unable to save any of the files that people are attaching to threads successfully. I know how to remove the .txt suffix but Windows is no longer giving that option and all the files are saved as .txt files.

Here's an example using the .bgl that Pen32win posted to change the landclass for Mt.Victoria in PNG.

When I click on the attachment I get the usual option to 'Save' 'Open' etc
(See 'Step 1')

When I choose save I get an option that has already removed the '.txt' suffix from the file name and gives me the choce of saving the file as 'text' or 'All Files'
(See Step 2)

When I choose 'All Files' and save the file I end up with . . . a text file.
(See Step 3).

This is driving me nuts.

I can only imagine that some option in Explorer has been changed (but not by me, or at least not knowingly).

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm missing out on some good stuff that isn't being uploaded.

Cheers
BuV

OBIO
February 4th, 2009, 07:20
To rename the file, right click the file name, select "Rename", then simply remove the ".txt" from the end. Then click outside of the rename box. Once you do that, the file will then be a normal BGL file and can be installed.

OBIO

Pen32Win
February 4th, 2009, 07:55
You probably have the "Hide extensions for known file types" option turned on.... Open Any folder, go to Tools > Folder Options > View Tab

Make sure that this option is turned off, no check in the box, then apply it to all folders.... Then you'll see the whole filename and it's extension.

blohmundvoss
February 4th, 2009, 09:50
Thanks for the quick responses, guys.

Obio, I've tried your approach before with no luck I'm afraid but it looks like Pen has the solution. I've just successfully tried to download his landclass .bgl again.

Weird. I don't recall ever changing that option but never mind -problem solved.

Thanks again.
BuV