PDA

View Full Version : FSX load times with TacPack

DaveB
April 18th, 2016, 04:10
Hi Chaps:)

I recently cracked and bought TacPack for FSX. While it does many things I'll probably never use, I found the carrier and IFR options attractive enough to take the plunge. I already had the non-TP version of the Superbug so took the opportunity to update that. First thing I noticed was my FSX load time. Cold (first load) is always quite slow but subsequent loads are much quicker.. especially if the pc hasn't been allowed to 'sleep'. This wasn't happening with TP active. Each load seemed to take absolutely ages so today, I decided to time the event having found the never/prompt/always option in TP (set to prompt).

Using my normal startup flight.. default Cessna at Culdrose (no active weather.. just my settings).. it takes 28sec to get to the Free Flight page and 1m 19s before I'm sat in the Cessna ready to go. Same test situation but allowing the TP module to load.. it takes 2m12s to get to the Free Flight page and 3m44s before I'm sat in the Cessna ready to go!! Similarly.. load times to change aircraft are increased above and beyond the norm with TP active. I can repeat the test over and over and times are within the odd second or two.

I have to say it's good of VRS to add the never/prompt/always load option though one drawback of not having TP loaded while having the TP version of the Superbug installed is that the Superbug can't be used. It will load but with non-functioning gauges and an invisible exterior!! I'm hoping that my 'TP already included' MV F-4J/S won't turn stealth in the same manner:biggrin-new:

My system runs Win7 Ultimate on a 250gig SSD, 8gb DDR3 ram, FSX is on a 500gb Sata3 HD with scenery (GenX) on another 500gb HD. I'll add that there seems to be very little 'noticeable' overhead with TP active.. just that the load time is almost tripled.

An observation.. no more, no less;)
ATB
DaveB:)

Mach3DS
April 18th, 2016, 05:02
My P3Dv3 + TP loads in about 20 sec. and I don't have near as a good a HDD as you do...suonds like a another issue not TP related, but being seen through the symptom of TP issues. I've never had an issue with load times and TP. Even in FSX +TP, which I Also have.

DaveB
April 18th, 2016, 05:14
My P3Dv3 + TP loads in about 20 sec. and I don't have near as a good a HDD as you do...suonds like a another issue not TP related, but being seen through the symptom of TP issues. I've never had an issue with load times and TP. Even in FSX +TP, which I Also have.

Hmm.. interesting Rick. What I forgot to add above is my cpu.. an intel i5 2500K (unclocked). Could that have an influence?
ATB

DaveWG
April 18th, 2016, 06:11
Just a thought, it could be related to the amount of AI (aircraft and ships) you have. TP may well scan all those on load. Don't know if it does, just a guess, but it may explain it.

Mach3DS
April 18th, 2016, 06:16
How many aircraft do you have installed? Are any of them TP enabled that simply worked without TP installed (less TP functionality)? Not sure CPU has much to do with load times....unless it was severely under powered...which yours doesn't sound like it it.

DaveB
April 18th, 2016, 06:43
Food for thought there. AI.. I have no default AI aircraft (default traffic file removed) although I have a lot of AI aircraft installed. Ships.. I have millions.. well, lots anyway. My Boats folder is almost 10gig:dizzy: IF TP does scan all aircraft and ships (as potential targets or otherwise).. that would go some way to explaining the extra load times. The only TP enabled models I have are the Superbug, MV F100D, MV F-4J/S and Dino's F-14. Not sure if the Aerosoft F-14 is TP enabled.. it may be. If so, that can be added to the list too.

ATB

Dimus
April 18th, 2016, 07:01
The Aerosoft F-14 is TP enabled, however the MV F-4J/S not yet.

As Rick says, I do not find loading times any different if I have or not TP module loaded, but that does not help you much I guess.

Victory103
April 18th, 2016, 07:25
AI is the big kicker for me, I have just about all the MAIW packages and FSX takes forever to load. Any TP flying, which is all I have been doing lately, I can get from Select Flight page to on the ramp in about a minute with all AI sliders to 0%. I also based on previous experience, load the stock -172 then switch to the TP aircraft. I also load my TPS file or place my carrier/SAMS/tanker once I'm loaded up. In the TPM, I have the "prompt" active for TP when FS first boots up.

DaveB
April 18th, 2016, 08:26
As a quick and dirty test.. I renamed my boats folder and dropped a copy of the default boats into Simobjects. While this made little difference to the non-TP load time.. it made a significant difference in the TP active load time by ending up 2 secs slower at each point (Free Flight and in the cockpit). It does look like AI models.. in particular, ships, is the major culprit though undoubtedly.. the number of active AI models would also have a notable effect.

Re the F-4J and TacPack.. the user guide states that TP must be installed for the APCS function to work. On the strength of this.. I'd have presumed that at least the APCS function was TP active (though I've yet to try it).

Thanks for the pointers troops. At least I know what is causing the slow-down;)
ATB