PDA

View Full Version : Never a doubt...

EasyEd
April 14th, 2016, 20:16
Hey All,

From: http://phys.org/news/2016-04-reveals-greatest-formula-driver.html

Fangio was the best ever in F1. Schumacher who had teammates pullover and park for him... well...

Teams matter about six times more than drivers when it comes to success in F1.

So the driver is lets see: (1/(1+6))x100 = a bit less than 15% of the whole equation. Yep I believe it and it shows clearly just how meaningless a driver title in F1 is - as I have always maintained.

I'd love to see the same analysis for NASCAR where I suspect the driver effect is likely triple that of F1. Explains a lot.

-Ed-

wombat666
April 14th, 2016, 23:24
Lies, lies and damn statistics.........:173go1:

b52bob
April 15th, 2016, 02:43
Interesting.....

Ferry_vO
April 15th, 2016, 04:28
I'd love to see the same analysis for NASCAR where I suspect the driver effect is likely triple that of F1. Explains a lot.

Always ready to bash F1, eh Ed..?

Looking at the NASCAR sprint statistics I see eleven victories for the team of Rick Hendrick over the last twenty years, fourteen wins for Chevrolet and only six different owners that have won titles since 1995 (Eight in F1 since that time!).
Guess being in the right team at the right time matters as much in NASCAR as it does in F1... :mixed-smiley-010:

And Fangio could just buy the best car in his days to win; surely they didn't account for that in the statistics.

Roxane-21
April 15th, 2016, 07:53
Fangio was the best ever in F1. Schumacher who had teammates pullover and park for him... well...
Back in the 50s, when a pilot suffered a mechanical failure he was allowed to take one of his teammates' car and finish the race. Fangio did this many times. He should have lost the title in 1956 to Collins, but Collins gave him his own car during the last race !

EasyEd
April 15th, 2016, 08:21
Hey All,

No bashing at all.

I think the team effect is bigger than the driver effect in NASCAR as well. I just suspect the NASCAR driver effect to be much higher than 15% (actually closer to 14%). I think it an interesting analysis and will look for the PDF when it becomes available. I'll be especially curious about the stat methods.

To me it verified what Juan Pablo Montoya said (paraphrased) "in F1 you just get in the best car and go out and win the race - in NASCAR you never know from one pit stop to the next - you might be king of the track during one run then come in change tires and maybe a track bar and go back out and be one of the worst cars on the track".

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
April 17th, 2016, 07:07
EasyEd,
It's well known within the F1 community that the constructor's championship is where it's at. The equation is simple - the higher your team's placing, the more F1 royalty monies your teams receive - to the tune of tens of millions of dollars!

Winning the drivers championship does nothing for the team except media exposure - but again, folks within the F1 community already know and understand this and the above.

So it appears to me that the only thing you're trying to do here is piss people off.

Have a good day!