PDA

View Full Version : Strange computer Behavior

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 04:21
A few weeks ago this computer, not the FSX one, went off due to a momentary loss of power. I have it connected to one of those surge protectors/extension boxes.

Well, now when you turn it on, you will get the MSI splash screen for about 30 secs. The the screen goes black for a minute or so. You will then get the screen where it checks the components and stops at booting from CD. The screen goes black again. Finally, after maybe 5-10 minutes, if you wait long enough Win XP will start.

Once it boots up everything seems fine.

I have tried to get into the BIOS by hitting DEL at the botting from CD screen but it hasn't worked.

Anyone seen this behavior before?

cheezyflier
September 27th, 2008, 05:08
my last computer (windows ME) used to do that because of a worm i picked up. even once i got rid of the worm, it was never the same after that. it still did it after a computer guy came and re-installed the o/s

jmig
September 27th, 2008, 06:51
my last computer (windows ME) used to do that because of a worm i picked up. even once i got rid of the worm, it was never the same after that. it still did it after a computer guy came and re-installed the o/s

Windows ME??? How long ago was that?

Snuffy
September 27th, 2008, 07:10
May just be your system double checking the status of the power strip.
There is a setting somewhere in windows that you hit to turn the checking of the power ups off.

Lionheart
September 27th, 2008, 09:22
Some anti-virus sites have a page of downloadable worm scanners, maybe 10 various ones. (Grisoft has some).

Worms usually 'communicate' when you are in the bootup stage. That is when no anti-virus systems are running yet, and it can have full reign to do its damage, call home, call friends, etc. Once that is gone, speed will be back up.

If you had some very slight damage to your motherboard from a spike (which can at times get through a power strip, as it did with mine, wiping out the motherboard), you can get odd effects from such a spike strike.

One way to tell if you have such damage is to open up the case and study the tops of the various little capacitors (tiny little can looking things soldered to the motherboard). They have a little cross stamped on the tops of them. If you look closely, you can see if they are flat still by the cross on the top. If its still flat, the cross will lay straight. If its domed, you have suffered a strong spike which tinged (burned) the capacitors, but didnt knock your system out. (Some computers may still run after a powerful spike, but will have side effects from it, like suddenly crashing, doing odd things, etc).

I hope its none of the above, but might be good to get it all checked out. Good luck on it.

Bill

cheezyflier
September 27th, 2008, 13:55
Windows ME??? How long ago was that?

millenium edition was 8 years ago, but i stuck with it all the way till 2006, i wasn't a simmer then. (i just wanted to be)

gigabyte
September 27th, 2008, 17:08
Jmig, what you describe could be any number of things, a virus is always a possibility, however when you say it started after an unexpected power loss I would suspect the Master File Allocation Table. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom designed Windows to keep a backup FAT (you can't disable this feature - a good thing IMHO) and what you describe could easily be the OS switching to the backup FAT. There are utilities to check and recover the FAT tables, so if you are good with the Recovery Console and the DOS prompt you could go that route (NOT for the uniniated...). You can access the Recovery Console by Touching F8 during the Boot up, you need good timing, you must catch it between the POST screen and just before the XP Splash Screen, it is the same as Booting to Safe Mode just look at he options and select Recovery Console.

A safer bet might be to get yourself a copy of The ultimate Boot CD for Windows, and use the tools on that to check and recover any FAT errors. Just do a google search for "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" and you will find plenty of links to help you build your own... Oh did I mention "IT'S FREE!!!!" - Gig Likes Free! I can't tell you the number of times that set of tools has helped me look like a hero to friends and co-workers.

Good luck with this, and remember what Gig says... "He who laughs last - Has a GOOD backup..."

Terry
September 28th, 2008, 01:44
A few weeks ago this computer, not the FSX one, went off due to a momentary loss of power. I have it connected to one of those surge protectors/extension boxes.

Well, now when you turn it on, you will get the MSI splash screen for about 30 secs. The the screen goes black for a minute or so. You will then get the screen where it checks the components and stops at booting from CD. The screen goes black again. Finally, after maybe 5-10 minutes, if you wait long enough Win XP will start.

Once it boots up everything seems fine.

I have tried to get into the BIOS by hitting DEL at the botting from CD screen but it hasn't worked.

Anyone seen this behavior before?

I would go back to the last good restore point, thats what their for.
It's solved many problems for me in the past.

hey_moe
September 28th, 2008, 02:24
John have you tried to reset your BIOS, also what kind of a MB do ya have...Mike